1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved liquid cooled CPU overheating

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Krybo, May 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Krybo

Krybo Thread Starter

Hello. I am seeking 3rd party thoughts/opinions/solutions for an overheat issue that has started for me recently (past 3 days) for this system I have owned happily maintenance free for 5 years after the initial RMA with the PSU. Specs at bottom, with more relevant items toward the top.

The Symptoms:
    Massive and rather sudden CPU temp spikes (80-90C) that tripped system safety-restarts.
    You guessed it, the first event happened when playing a game, after 3 of these I became suspicious and went easy on the system. The windows 10 auto-shut error was kinda vague. The Post CPU overtemp error was not. I installed HWmonitor to keep track of things.
    Overheat shuts then began happening when I was away from my desk for less than 15 mins.
    Norton idle scans were tripping it, I temporily uninstalled that, but it seems now that ANY total sustained CPU load over 33% or so will quickly overheat the CPU within 10 minutes, and modern games are suicidal.

In case it does not stick out... this has a closed loop liquid cooling system. (CPU only)

-What I know, suspect, and have researched already-

* I have a active ticket with CyberPowerPC. But I want some 3rd party viewpoints.

* This system is/getting old. And this may just be some components hitting natural End of life.
    That Liquid cooler pump, for instance. Perhaps the CPU thermal compound?

* AMD CPU's run hot. I could not get it above 60C no matter what I tried when I monitored temps when the system was new. I then stopped monitoring up till this incident.

* I am not, and have never, overclocked this machine. There was no need to.

* AMD has not released any Windows 10 MoBo / chipset drivers that I could locate.
    Found a forum post that windows 10 can monkey with VCORE voltages. and indeed, my HWmonitor reported a Max VCORE of 1.428. I don't know enough about this to know if its related to overheating... but sounds like it could be.

* The fan cooled Vid card handles fine. 60C idle and max 86C during intense games. The CPU temp resets the system first.

* The only major change to this system in the past month was windows 7 > Windows 10 free upgrade.
    I want to discount this as a software issue.. and so does CyberPower... but b/c of this fact.. I cannot.
    I did make a pass at removing bloatware from Win10. Issue persists.
    did make a cloneZilla image of my Windows 7 OS partition before upgrading.

* This HWmon screen demonstrates the ridiculous state: Note the utilization vs. current temps.

I hwmScreen1.jpg

* All case & radiator fans are doing their job.

* The entire CPU Water block is physically HOT, this is not a case of a bad temperature sensor.

* The LCS (liquid cooling system) hose connecting the CPU water block to the radiator gets warm.
    * The LCS hose connecting the radiator back to the reservoir is at room temp.
    * The LCS hose connecting the reservoir to the CPU block is at room temperature.
    * I honestly cannot determine if the pump is running. There is no vibration distinct from what the chassis fans may produce. Instinct tells me that the heat is being trapped in the CPU>Radiator hose (since it goes vertically upward) and slowly being cooled by the radiator fan. Others say that since the other hoses are room temp, it means the fluid is flowing. I have not a clue where the pump lies within the LCS.

* The LCS fluid level indicator is above the blue LED light and about 70% to the top of the transparent opening. CyberPower support did not seem immediately alarmed by this.

* If the LCS pump turns out the problem, can it be replaced.. or am I doomed to buy an entirely new LCS.

* This case is nightmare-ish. I'd rather exhaust all easy options before having to take it apart.

==========================
    System Specs:

CyberPowerPC Gamer Ultra 9000
    *BASE_PRICE (Apr.2011): //Item Values Redacted//
    CPU: AMD Phenom™II X6 1100T Six-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card
    FAN: CyberPower Xtreme Hydro Liquid Cooling Kit 240MM w/ Dual Fan (CPU & GPU Closed Loop Liquid Cooler)
    { * Gfx Card incompatible & remained Fan cooled }
    MOTHERBOARD: Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 AMD 890GX Chipset Hardware Core Unlocker CrossFireX Support DDR3 Sckt AM3 ATX w/ Built-in ATI HD4290 Graphic, HDMI, DVI, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, IEEE1394, USB3.0, SATA-III, RAID, 1 Gen2 PCIe, 1 PCIe X4, 1 PCIe X1, & 2 PCI
    CS_FAN: Maximum Enermax 120MM Case Cooling Fans for selected case (Maximum Silent Operation)
    CARE2: CoolerMaster Thermal Fusion 400 Extreme Performance CPU - Thermal Compound Optimized for Thermal Dissipation
    CASE: CoolerMaster Storm Sniper Mid-Tower Gaming Case
    CD: Samsung SH-B123L 12X BLU-RAY Player & DVDRW Combo
    CD2: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive
    HDD: 60GB Corsair Force 60 Gaming MLC Solid State Disk (Single Hard Drive)
    {UPGRADED afterward} to 512 GB SSD separating OS from content.
    HDD2: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (2TB x 2 (2TB Capacity) Raid 1 High Performance with Data Security
    MB_ADDON: Asus True 2 x USB 3.0 PCIe Expansion Card
    MEMORY: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/2000MHz Dual Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand)
    {UPGRADED afterward} to 4x4GB Crucial Ballistix
    MULTIVIEW: Xtreme Performance in SLI/CrossFireX Gaming Mode Supports Single Monitor
    {Never actually used}
    NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
    OS: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Professional (64-bit Edition)
    {Upgraded Recently} to Windows 10 free upgrade. ;/
    POWERSUPPLY: * 1,000 Watts - Thermaltake W0132RU ToughPower Modular, 80 Plus Certified, Quad SLI Ready, CrossfireX Ready & Active PFC Power Supply
    {Faulty: RMAed & got small upgrade, same brand}
    SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
    USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
    USBX: NZXT Internal USB 6-PORT Expansion Module
    WNC: PCI Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps Network Interface Card
    * more entries deemed irrelevant. Avbl on request *

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You may have a hose that is deteriorating or other problem impeding the flow of water/heat transfer.
    Honestly I have NEVER been a fan of water cooling. IMO it is a leak or problem waiting to happen. If this were my system, I would remove the water cooling and install a coolermaster 212 hsf. I use those on all systems here and right now a VERY overclocked amd 6core cpu is running @30C. It will get up to 55C when stress testing with prime95.

3. Krybo

Krybo Thread Starter

For the record in case this helps anyone,
    Indeed, trial & error with test loops found corrosion in the waterblock completely stopping-up flow in either direction. Surprised this didn't ruin my pump or cause a leak.

Fixed with a complete tear down and rebuild with new waterblock.
    The fan is good advice... I picked one up in case it came to that, but I decided a wanted the quieter and more educational solution of rebuilding the LCS. Took about 2 weeks to find/ship the appropriate parts (majority of the time), test, and rebuild.

I'd say I got pretty lucky running an LCS with no maintence for 5 years...

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Glad you were able to get it working. (y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1171570

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice