1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Liquid stain in laptop screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shadowsden89, Mar 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shadowsden89

Shadowsden89 Thread Starter

I was cleaning my laptop today, a gentle cleaner, no alcohol, bleach, ammonia or any harsh chemicals, and though I didn't spray directly onto the screen, I managed to get some of the cleaner underneath the screen. It's not too bad, and doesn't seem to be affecting my laptop in any way, it's just a bit of an eyesore, especially against light backdrops. Is there any way I can safely fix this? Or will it dry and resolve itself on it's own?

Model: Gateway NE56R12u 15.6-Inch

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU B950 @ 2.10GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3932 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1838 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 447 GB (121 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Gateway, EG50_HC_HR
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

2017-03-09 09.41.22.jpg

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    It could simply still be wet, and will disappear when it's dry, or depending on what was in the water it may leave a residue behind. Give a few days to dry out and see what happens. Otherwise, you may need to open the case up and clean it.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What exactly do you mean by "a gentle cleaner"?
    What cleaning product did you use?
    How exactly did you apply it on the display screen?

--------------------------------------------------------------

4. Shadowsden89

Oddba, I thought as much. Hopefully, it resolves itself on it's own. I've never taken a laptop or a screen apart before and I'm not entirely confident in my ability to do so safely.

Flavallee, it's a homemade cleaner we use on mirrors and displays: computers, tvs, ect. It's made of water and white distilled vinegar.

5. Shadowsden89

I applied it with a microfiber cleaning cloth.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm guessing you were a bit too liberal in applying it, or may have applied too much pressure, and that some of the liquid leaked behind the display screen.
    Hopefully, it'll dry and no damage will be done.

I have 27" widescreen monitors for my 3 desktops.
    If they get a little dusty or get any droplet spots on them, I use large cotton balls to clean the display screen.
    A few drops of water(just enough to dampen the cotton ball) works well for me.

---------------------------------------------------------------

7. Shadowsden89

Yeah, I unfortunately wasn't as careful as I usually am, got a bit careless. The casing around those areas is a bit loose around the screen after getting pulled down from my desk by a rowdy toddler. Thankfully, there were no other damages. My laptop is starting to get up in age, nearing five years now and it's pretty much daily use. I've seen the start of a slow dying laptop, but I'm jobless at the moment so I need to squeeze as much life out of this as I can and that means I'm usually very careful with it.

It might just be my imagination, but I think it's starting to look slightly better. ...it's probably just wishful thinking.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    That may explain how some of the liquid got behind the display screen.
    Hopefully, it'll dry out and return to normal in a few days.
    Let me do some research on your laptop, then I'll get back to you.

--------------------------------------------------------------

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You appear to have a Gateway NE56R series laptop.
    I'm guessing yours came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit or Windows 8/8.1 Home 64-bit.
    What's the serial number and SNID number on yours?

It has a "decent" Intel dual core processor for normal computing functions, so that's good.

It supports a maximum of 8 GB of RAM, so you do have the option of increasing its current 4 GB to 8 GB.
    Its Intel integrated graphic device uses almost 2 GB of shared memory, so that leaves a little over 2 GB to run Windows 10.
    If you can afford it, adding more RAM may noticeably improve speed and performance.

Its 447 GB hard drive appears to be about 73% full, so I'm guessing you have a lot of installed programs and/or a lot of personal data stored in it.
    If it has a lot of installed programs, it probably has a large number of running processes which can impede speed and performance.

-------------------------------------------------------------

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!