1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Listening ports- good, necessary or bad?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by perfume, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. perfume

perfume Banned Thread Starter

Dear friends,
    when i typed netstat -an in command prompt, i got a result like this! Kindly view the thumbnail below.
    When i typed netstat -abn, the CP came up as this:

Kindly help me as to the significance of all this! Thanking all of you, beforehand for constructive and informative comments and suggestions!

regards,
    Mark.

Attached Files:

2. helpful

helpful

The ports that are in a "listening" state is an opening or path to allow clients to connect to your application/services hosted on your machine.

If you want to strengthen the security of your computer, disable the unneeded network services/applications so that you only have the ports listening really needed for your network configuration as each service/application that is running in listening mode is a attack vector for remote hacker to exploit a vulnerability.

Strengthen the windows firewall rules by preventing services/application from accepting connection from outside your local network unless needed.

For even better protection use also (Network Address Translation) NAT device for your internet sharing. NAT will automatically prevent connections from the internet to computers inside your network unless you have specifically configured a port triggering rule or you have established the connection first.

3. helpful

helpful

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

When it says "0.0.0.0" that means it is listening on the internet.

When it says "127.0.0.1" that means it is listening on the local interface, listening to traffic on the same machine.

The part after the colon ":" is the port number. The port could be TCP or UDP, as indicated at the beginning of the line.

So, the first line says "TCP 0.0.0.0:135" . that means it is listening to internet, using TCP port 135. Googling for "port 135 tcp" brings up this :

http://www.speedguide.net/port.php?port=135

Which tells you what port TCP 135 is used for. On a clean machine, it is used by MS RPC. (remote procedure call )

Whatever is listening to the internet can be manipulated by hackers. However, when you have a router or a hardware firewall, access to these listening ports are blocked. That is, unless you specify Port Forwarding on the router to say, for example, Forward TCP port 135 TO <my-machine-ip-address>.

On 3rd party firewalls, they usually ask you which zone you are in, and block access to certain ports when you tell it you are on a public network.

5. perfume

perfume Banned Thread Starter

Dear helpful and Lunarlander,
    Thanks a lot!(y). Is it normal to have so many listening ports open?

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

Hi Perfume,

135 and 445 are normal on Windows systems, but I don't know about 1110 and 19780

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918178

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice