1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

'Lite' Linux OS?

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Dairylee, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dairylee

Dairylee Thread Starter

Hi everyone.

I'm looking to upgrade to a newer operating system purely because I want a change from Windows 98 SE. I've had a look at the Ubuntu Live CD a few months back and it was rather nice, bit slow but I'm not sure if that was because it was running from the CD or if it was just my PC.

Could someone tell me if Ubuntu would run on my PC (info shown below) or if not does anyone know one that would.

Thanks Lee.

CPU: 1 CPU - Intel Celeron "A", 467.73 MHz, L1: 16KB L2: 128KB
    Mem: 191MB
    Hard Disk 1: 7.85GB
    Hard Disk 2: 5.82GB
    VidCard: Intel(R) 82810 Graphics Controller
    Monitor: NEC CI A527
    Sound: Creative SBPCI Direct Sound Driver

2. prunejuice

prunejuice

I'd lean towards a Slackware based (or Slackware, for that matter) distro with the Enlightenment desktop. KDE or GNOME could be a drag on that system.

3. craigbass76

craigbass76

I have centOS running on a 300mhz PII and it's ok with KDE. I don't boot it to the desktop anymore, but if I did I think running xfce or Icewm would make it pretty fast. I have ever used enlightenment though; have to check it out

Craig
    www.candocomputerservices.com

4. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

You should try DamnsmallLinux, and/or Puppy - both would be quite fast on your machine.

5. Dairylee

Dairylee Thread Starter

Thanks for the recomendations guys. I've had a look at some videos on OSVids.com and they all seem pretty good but I think I'm going to go for Damn Small Linux.

Does anyone know any (absolute beginners) step by step guide to isntalling DSL?

*edit* - is it only a live cd? or can it actually be the main OS running from the HD?

Thanks Lee.

6. craigbass76

craigbass76

I've never installed DSL, but there must be directions somewhere on the disc. Try #dsl on irc.freenode.net if you can't find the answer. Also remember that many of the apps are text based or otherwise hard to use if you're new. The irc client comes to mind right off the bat. DSL is basically Debian though (it's a watered down version of Knoppix which is itself a Debian variant) so you should be able to install different apps however you'd normall do it in Debian.

Craig
    www.candocomputerservices.com

7. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

32X Cdrom tranfers at 4,915,200 BPS

Hard drives tranfer at hundreds of MBPS

8. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

Right click the desktop and install from there.

9. Dairylee

Dairylee Thread Starter

Hmmm for some reason I can't get the Live CDs to boot. I've burnt the ISO image correctly and have the CD in the drive but it won't boot from the CD.

I've checked my CMOS settings but I can't see anywhere that says which devices it boots from.

10. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

Well...if you have the CD set as the first boot device in the bios, and it doesn't work right then you either have a bum CD disk or a bum computer. You did burn the CD as an image didn't you? Or, maybe the computer is so old that you can't change the boot order?????

11. Dairylee

Dairylee Thread Starter

Hmm the CD can't of been burnt correctly, I'm going to try again. I just tried an old Ubuntu live cd and the DSL one and the DSL one didn't work so it's obviously just my bad cd burning skills.

12. craigbass76

craigbass76

Yeah, you need cd burning skills, and nun-chuck skills, and ... :)

13. Dairylee

Dairylee Thread Starter

My nun-chuck skils are up there with Bruce Lee, infact I taught him everything he knew. Just gotta get this CD burning nailed...

14. craigbass76

craigbass76

Are you burning it in windows, or Linux? To burn in linux, try

cdrecord -v -eject cdrecord-/your/linux/iso.iso

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482287

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice