1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Liteon CDRW/DVD not recognized by BIOS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sv1, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sv1

sv1 Thread Starter

Installed Liteon LSC Slim Combo drive in Toshiba Tecra 9100. Dual OS (Win2k and XP) with PartitionMagic boot. Get IDE 1 error on boot. OS boots anyway. Win2k device manager shows no CD drive. There are two ways to get it to work 1) Remove and re-insert while hot - Win2k will find new hardware and install; 2) Delete and re-install secondary IDE channel - Win2k will find and install. However on next boot -same failure - IDE 1 error and no CD drive.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Is it jumpered correctly?

3. sv1

sv1 Thread Starter

I've searched inside and outside on this drive and there are no jumpers to be found. The user's manual doesn't mention any.

4. ~Candy~

Is there 3 pins or so, right by the power connector?

5. pronute

pronute

6 pins sometimes the jumper cap is include in a little plastic bag instead of on the jumper pins, you have to take the tiny little cap out of the bag and place it on the appropriate jumper pins (MA, CL, SL) I have bought a few drives that came that way.

6. ~Candy~

I guess I should have said 3 columns of two pins each :D

7. sv1

sv1 Thread Starter

This drive is slim combo for laptop - only one multipin connector, no pins nearby

8. ~Candy~

Oops.....I saw that...sorry. Can you check the boot order in bios setup?

9. sv1

sv1 Thread Starter

Order is FDD, HDD, CD

10. ~Candy~

I'm assuming if you disconnect the cdrom totally, you don't get IDE 1 error? I'm wondering if the contacts to connect it may be flakey? Has this always been a problem?

11. sv1

sv1 Thread Starter

With CD out of machine, no error.
    History- Laptop equipped with Hitachi CD/DVD. I replaced with Liteon CDRW/DVD. Got IDE 1 error. Tried Liteon firmware update, Laptop BIOS update, Win2k sp4 update - no luck.
    Wierd thing is if I unstall 2nd IDE channel and let OS search for new hardware, it finds 2nd IDE and subsequently CD and sets up both. CD works until next boot then error and no CD. Could Partion Magic boot hide OS changes from boot record or BIOS?

12. ~Candy~

I certainly wouldn't think so, but I have no experience using PM......

13. sv1

sv1 Thread Starter

OK, here's the wierd thing - After weeks of updating drivers and firmware, I gave up and bought another drive. This one from Ebay. It was OEM in a Toshiba Tecra 9100. It worked 1st time without any intervention!
    It is a Matshita UJDA720. Not the performer that the Liteon is. The PC set it up as IDE 0 (0)? Why does that work? How can I change the Liteon to match?

14. ~Candy~

IDE 0 is usually the bootable hard drive.

15. Rockn

Rockn

If it's specs are ATAPI-5 you have to use an 80 pin IDE cable.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164069

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice