1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

little disfigurement

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by malice, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. malice

malice Thread Starter

2. malice

malice Thread Starter

goddamned accidentally pushed a button

anyway on the media section you will find two columns with lists with images and songs im putting up there
    notice how the second column is being disfigured cause my last two list items seem to be a little more to the left then the first two

i dont know what the hell is causing it but it surely pisses me off

3. NicolaJane

NicolaJane

cant find the media section?

4. Rockn

Rockn

I also notice that the top frame is squashed and the buttons are only showing half way. Put some content on the page you are referring to so we can see what the problem is.

5. malice

malice Thread Starter

i updated the site was still some old crap

what? top frame squashed

maybe its your resolution or the fact that your browser window isnt completely expanded

and its right there the media section just click media...

i know it looks like crap on a mac

and i havent checked it out on any other browser besides ie

maybe its that?

6. lora_3677

lora_3677

DUDE... the green is burning into my eyes.. i can't even see your links in the heading... you need to change the colors or something. i'm sure that is why nicola couldn't find it.. she probably can't SEE it...

now as far as columns not lining up... i don't see what you are talking about.. it appear to be fine.. what i can see at least...

7. Rockn

Rockn

It is squashed and I am running at 1024x768, I am sure that is why folks running at 800x600 can't see it at all. Set the upper frame to about 25% or make your image smaller in the page that loads in the top frame.

8. malice

malice Thread Starter

i checked it at other ppls pc's seems to be working fine with them

the top frame gets squashed yes when i resize the browser window vertically and when i resize horizontally it gets pushed away from the middle i need to find some script of some sort to deal with that problem

as for the banner im gonna make an image map out of it so this is a temporary solution

everything seems fine ?

look closer... the media section is the second link btw then youll see a list with images to click on; the first two and the last two list items.. theyre not aligned the way it should or is it just my browser ****in things up??
    it has been known to act strangely
    and i like those colors :p

9. malice

malice Thread Starter

hey its fixed how did i do that?

im losing it i think last

btw i also discovered something else
    whenever i put this on my html page
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd"> the styles i defined for my scrollbar wouldnt work only when i removed the doctype the correct colors would show up however removing the doctype also screws up my css such as alignment font-types and sizes

strange...

anyway last night i finally figured out how to circumvent that
    by solely using the div tag to define my styles

just wanted to share in case someone else would face the same problem...

10. lora_3677

lora_3677

re: you like those colors... it's fine to like the colors... but use them sparingly... seriously... if you really want repeat traffic to your sites you may want to tone it down a tad.

11. Corrosive

Corrosive

Design wise, I don't think it's as bad as lora makes out. However, the shades of green on green is really hard to read, especially against the textured backgrounds.

lora does have a point though. Always remember the KISS principle: Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Also, get rid of the frame and put the navigation and the content on the same page. Frames are deprecicated in the latest HTML spec, and therefore future browsers can very simply refuse to display them. Hell, I can disable frames on my version of Opera, something I'm sure many people already do.

Another tip. Download every browser you can to test your sites on. Test it at numerous colour depths and resolutions and even on Macs if possible (they do display colours differently). boo.com fell by the wayside because they simply didn't test the site properly. At launch, it didn't even work on Macs and even on the PC, it was too complex for the average user. Don't assume we have the setup you have.

Just my two cents. Have fun.

12. malice

malice Thread Starter

ive fixed a few things

and ive tested it on opera too so it should work fine now if you enable your frames the banner at the top shouldnt get squashed anymore when you resize it if anyone uses navigator feel free to mention if there are any aberrations

the banner problem will be solved with an imagemap

13. Corrosive

Corrosive

As you say, IF you enable frames. I do (because many sites I like employ them) but a lot of folk probably won't to get rid of any annoyances.

14. malice

malice Thread Starter

you shouldve seen my first site it was all frames

because thats the way my html teacher taught ive come already to the conclusion that many things that he taught us are now completely outdated so im trying to find my own way

btw does anyone of you see any advantage in using for instance dreamweaver or would you recommend to simply stick with good old notepad ive used it once but i dont really see any benefit in it
    i even find it an annoying piece of software.

15. Corrosive

Corrosive

Notepad is a very simple text-editor, designed to edit text (unsurprisingly), not to design web-pages.

If you have a firm grounding of HTML, and have a few hundred bucks to spare, then by all means go out and get Dreamweaver or a similar app. The only real problem with these apps is that there is often a few little nuances in the code. Dreamweaver isn't too bad though, so that isn't too much of a problem.

I still prefer to edit by hand, so I use HTML Pad. It's basically a text-editor but with extra features like syntax-highlighting and all the rest. These style of apps are often much, much cheaper than the WYSIWYG alternatives and don't have the dodgy code output (unless you don't code well! ;) )

Notepad is good for beginners, but I can see you are getting a bit big for it, and starting to see it's limitations. Have a look at all the download sites, like www.download.com and see if there are some share/freeware apps that you may find handy. They'll probably have demos of DW and others, so you can see if it's worth it for yourself.

You may also find these sites handy:
    www.w3schools.com
    www.webmonkey.com

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173261

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice