"Live Help" or "Chat"?

angelize56

Always remembered in our hearts
Mike....is the "Live Help" really supposed to be "Chat"? I thought members complained about giving "live" help via "Chat"....should "Live Help" be changed to "Chat"....or is "Chat" somewhere else? :confused: ;) :)

I'd have posted this in the December Upgrade thread...but it might have gotten lost before it was answered! :D ;)

Good Question, :D.
Cant seem to find the Chat link, (well, maybe it was removed coz it was seldomly used?)

And adding to this (to the 'Chat' thing). How bout mods / helpers accessing the Chat window while they are in TSG site. Coz I have tried to use Chat several times just to see if someone is there but never had the chance to use it as I have not seen anyone online in that Chat window. Im always alone in the Chat room everytime I open it :(.

I think chat might be turned off since the bookmark that i have for chat that used to work comes up with
http://chat.techguy.org/logon.php said:
I'm sorry, but I can't tell who you are! Have a look at Chat Requirements, specifically about enabling cookies in TSG and your browser.

angelize56

Thanks Brendan....went there and found this explanation:

WELCOME TO TECHGUY LIVE!

Tired of waiting on hold forever to talk to someone you can barely understand? Using state-of-the-art technology, our Tech Guys can connect to your computer securely over the Internet, allowing us to fix your computer problems while you watch! It's just $25 per incident, or as little as $15 a month for unlimited support. Let us solve your computer problem - no matter how big or small!

Now my next question still...where has regular chat gone? :)

angelize56

I'm still waiting for an answer....will chat be brought back or is it gone with the wind....er....upgrade! ;) :D

Was it ever used? I'd load it up every so often to have a look if anyone was on, but no one was. Also, is the Live Help like the chat service Mike was running sometime last year? I remember there was a link which would popup on the main page if he was online to talk to him. I did once for a bit, but it wasn't a paid service. Perhaps it was just testing... I like the idea of a chat service, although using a Java client is/was annoying. Would it be better going having an IRC type service which could be logged if anything "naughty" was said or suggested. It could easily be moderated by current forum mods or others.

TechGuy

Mike
Administrator
Chat was very rarely used (with the exception of New Years, I guess!)... but I do hope to bring back a new version that will work with our "upgraded" site. :)

Yeh, IRC would be a great idea!

We could get a wydlryde or a freenode.

Lots of other help sites have an IRC chat room.

David

Hey All,
I just got done "trying" to visit the Chat Room using the following links and got this:

http://chat.techguy.org/requirements.html

Tech Support Guy Chat requires the following:

Java 1.1 enabled browser, such as Netscape 4.08+ or Internet Explorer 4.0+
Cookies enabled by your browser, and no firewall or spyware program blocking them.
A little patience to wait for it to load the first time.

http://chat.techguy.org/logon.php

I'm sorry, but I can't tell who you are! Have a look at Chat Requirements, specifically about enabling cookies in TSG and your browser.

What is going on in TGF ???

TechGuy

Mike
Administrator
dr911... read the posts above. ;)

Brendan: We removed the IRC chat years ago after abuse. Expect another Java or Java-like interface.

Would it be worth trying IRC chat again? I am a regular on the MozNet IRC server and that is run very well - tech support for Mozilla products. As long as you had sufficient number of op/hops in the channel, had a bot running for other admin tasks (which could also log everything) and the server configured correctly, it could work fine IMHO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online