1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Live Mail vs other mail programs and email accounts

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by GoodEngr, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoodEngr

GoodEngr Thread Starter

I currently have a wireless ISP that I'm not totally happy with and have been thinking about switching over to another ISP - specifically Century Link due to the much lower monthly price, hopefully better reliability and much higher speeds (12mb vs 1.5mb).

My question is my current ISP offers email to which I have three email accounts attached and once I leave this ISP I will need to set up new email accounts - gmail, etc. In the event I'm not happy with Century Link down the road and want to change providers again I don't want to have to change the email accounts so does using the ".gmail.com" extension make sense or is there something else that makes better sense? I know Century Link also offers their own email extensions but that would then lock me into them which is not what I want to do.

Also, with my current ISP I have been using Windows Live Mail and like it and have quite a few folders, etc that I have accumulated over the 6 years I have had these accounts. Going forward I tried setting up some gmail accounts and inside WLM I set them up also so when I get my new mail it comes in for the gmail accounts along with the mail from the current ISP email accounts. I realize I can "store" the new gmail entries in the old WLM folders by simply dragging and dropping the entry into my old WLM folders or is this not a wise thing to do? Or should I make the same folders under the "gmail" accounts and drag and drop the old folder contents to the new folders? By doing this would then the transferred information end up going to their server or simply stay on my equipment?

I still want to keep the "history" on my equipment instead on an outside server since that typically gets purged after so many days (I assume - otherwise I'm sure there would be charges for the storage of email history).

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    use gmail and then you are ISP independant - I have been for years
    also with the client I use , I also leave the email on the gmail server - and just move to "all mail" on gmail - that way i have a backup of my email on gmail servers. you get quite a lot of storage on gmail - and every now and then I purge out all the rubbish email on the gmail server
    Also by moving the email to "all folders" - i f i want to work without my PC - i can log into the web service and then only se the latest email in the inbox

i keep the same folders for all my email accounts- and often use an inbox rule on my client (thunderbird) to move to folders

but thats how i like to work

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086116

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice