1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Live Onecare comments

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by alexh1, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexh1

alexh1 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have the Live Onecare eval on Vista. I have seen a lot of positive reviews on it but I'm starting to wonder how many of these are by MS shills.

The problem I have with it is that it duplicates many features that are built into windows and even with Onecare itself many of the features are duplicated in various parts of the setup. Some of these you can turn off in either OneCare or Vista but on some others you can't or it's not clear. For example -

1. Tune Up - the tab for this says almost nothing about what it does until you check the help. Then you see it does almost exactly what Vista already does and it even seems to duplicate things listed in other parts of the Onecare setup! It does the following -

Manage Updates - thought Vista does this.
    Remove unecessary files - OK
    Defrag hard disk - Vista does this
    Check for viruses - another tab in Onecare duplicates this feature.
    Check computer for files that need backup - I do this with a third party tool - I'm not going to trust MS to do this.
    Check for missing updates - ??

Note that you cannot turn off the Tune Up feature.

2. Backup - I thought tune up did this?
    You can turn this feature off but then what does the tune up back up feature [email protected]@#$$

3. Viruses and Spyware - this pane is not clear to me. It says One care constantly checks for viruses and you can disable this. However, there are controls under this for scheduled scans. Not clear if turning off the "On" button also disables the scheduled scans. Of course if you turn off Virus monitoring the Onecare tray icon turns red.

It almost seems like MS marketing wants to be sure that we notice that this program does every operation under the sun so they repeat many of them in different parts of the setup.

Very frustrating.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590719

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice