.lnk files - what are they

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

earningstuff

What are .lnk files? is there a difference between shortcut and lnk files. The reason i ask is for the level 1 and 2 removes in Outlook for controlling how users open attachments etc.

cheers...

DoubleHelix

Banned
Shortcuts are files with .lnk extensions. You can see that extension if you view the file name at a command prompt.

earningstuff

DoubleHelix said:
Shortcuts are files with .lnk extensions. You can see that extension if you view the file name at a command prompt.
As suggested above a dir/w cmd inspection shows normal shortcuts as lnk files but the extension labelling is treated differently depending on how you attach them to emails.

I've noticed that when i drag and drop a shortcut into an email it is sent as a shortcut but when i right mouse click and sendto as attachment it is a lnk file. Why is there a distinction here?

Cheers....

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online