1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Load 7 over vista or reformat HD

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Nepsa, Nov 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nepsa

Nepsa Thread Starter

First Name:
    David
    I am tired of fixing Vista issues on my daughter in laws laptop. I am considering installing windows 7 on her HP Pav . Would it be best to use the vista to 7 program or reformat HD and start with a clean windows 7 only?

If the answer is vista to windows 7, will it remove the old vista files?

Thanks

nepsa

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    I would make sure the computer can run windows 7 and that theres drivers for it.Before doing anything make sure you have things saved on cds or dvds that you dont want to lose forever.I think but im not sure when you install windows 7 it will wipe out vista for good when it gets reformatted.Its better to do a clean install and start fresh.

3. helpful

helpful

One of the benefits from upgrading to Windows 7 from Vista is that most Vista drivers will work fine in Windows 7.

Upgrades should not be performed to fix issues. The upgrade process is complicated enough if there are existing problems I would strongly recommend a clean install.

4. JustTheBestTech

JustTheBestTech

The only reason to not do a completely clean install is if you want to continue fixing issues.

Also, doing an install over Vista won't save any time, initially or in the long run.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Nepsa:

What's the model number of that HP Pavilion laptop, and what's the product number(P/N) on the sticker?

Since it currently has issues with Windows Vista, a clean install of Windows 7 would be the better option.

Since it came with Windows Vista pre-installed, it probably will have Windows 7 drivers for all of its devices.

The only holdout may be the built-in webcam.

-------------------------------------------------------

6. Nepsa

Nepsa Thread Starter

First Name:
    David
    Thanks for the information, I will do a complete Windows 7 installation.

7. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Anytime you have problems with the operating system, performing an upgrade installation to another version is unlikely to work well, so a format and clean installation is much more likely to resolve your problems. On the other hand, I'm not sure you should expect Windows 7 to necessarily fix those unspecified "Vista issues".

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025040

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice