1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

load cd-rom driver for pcmcia card

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by blow-wave, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blow-wave

blow-wave Thread Starter

How do I load a cdrom driver in dos?

I have a Hitachi laptop, and am trying to load win98SE using an external cdrom connected via pcmcia card.
    I have the driver on hard drive (c:) .
    The computer wont recognise the cd drive(e:). Any ideas on how to create an e: drive or to get win98 loaded? :D

2. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

You just hit on a question that has generated perhaps the longest tech thread in the history of TSG. (At least in my time)
    The thread is still open and being worked. (It's just that the person works some long hours and isn't on the forum every day.)

I would suggest that you grab a cup (pot) of coffee and read the whole thread. Maybe there is something in there up to this point that can help you. OR maybe you can add something to it your self.

Here is the thread

http://forums.techguy.org/t160808/s.html

3. blow-wave

blow-wave Thread Starter

Thanx NightHawk. Will see what I can find. Glad to know I am not the only one.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Do you have any driver cds that came with the card and/or the computer? Maybe you can help us? :D

5. blow-wave

blow-wave Thread Starter

Yes we have a driver on floppy for the CD.
    SC-24/PCM
    If that means anything to you?

6. ~Candy~

Then you should be ok......just install the driver from the floppy. There should be a setup.exe or install.bat file on it. Get to a dos prompt and at the a: prompt, type dir and press enter, you'll see a listing of files on the floppy...see what's there.

You're in Japan aren't you? That's about the only thing I can find on that cdrom ;) can't read the pages though :D

EDIT, I see you mentioned that you already have the driver on the hard drive, is this how you went about getting there? Thru the installation, not just copying? Also, with the driver on the hard drive, when you boot up, the cdrom shouldn't be E, it should be D.

7. blow-wave

blow-wave Thread Starter

:D

Thanx AcaCandy.

There is no install.bat or setup.exe or any kind of exe or bat.

Only - 3 files
    readme.txt
    ctatamgr.sys
    ctatacd.sys

Can it be loaded like this? Or could you point us in the direction of a new driver?

The driver is on floppy, not HDD, we reloaded DOS. Now there is A, C and H (dblspace) drives but no E or D.

Cheers

8. blow-wave

blow-wave Thread Starter

Downloaded the driver from http://www.popura-tec.com/support/sc_24pcm.htm

The newer driver has a whole list of files.

In DOS at the A prompt I type autoexec.bat
    but it comes up with-

LH \MSCDEX.EXE /D:pCMCIACD /L:Q
    Device driver not found: 'PCMCIACD.
    No valid CDROM device drivers selected

Also I type mscdex.exe and it came up with -

Usage: MSCDEX [/E/K/S/V] [/D:<driver ... ] [/L:<letter>] [/M:<buffers>]

Any ideas on what I should do with this?
    :eek:

9. blow-wave

blow-wave Thread Starter

2nd Problem.....am probably more important:
    the computer wont recognise the CDROM plugged into PCMCIA card slot - no beep, no lights, nothing.
    Is this bad?

10. ~Candy~

Yeah, I think it should do something......can you open the tray per chance?

11. blow-wave

blow-wave Thread Starter

No tray, it is a manual flip top (like a CD walkman).
    Maybe then, something wrong with PCM card? Can I test it somehow?

12. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

In the BIOS, set "USB FDD Emulation" to "Enabled", and "PC Card Controller Mode" to "PCIC or Compatible".
    - Save changes and exit.
    - Insert the diskette and turn on the machine.

See if you have either of the above options in your BIOS setup. If so, set accordingly.

Good luck.

Kilowatt

13. blow-wave

blow-wave Thread Starter

Hello Kilowatt, Aca Candy, NightHawk, and anybody else.

Ok: the CD drive did work - Some SUCCESS

I got it to work by loading the driver; adding some commands to DOS config and autoexec; and then I loaded Win98se, however during the start of loading it asked me to save/copy the driver by inserting a disk. I tried this and it did nothing so I continued with the installation anyway. Then towards the end of the install process it (Win98) deleted/overwrote the driver, and it couldn't read the CD to finish loading.

I restarted the computer and it kept booting into a Win98 prompt to finish loading. This is where it got stuck and couldn't read the CD and finish loading.

So I used a DOS boot disk to access DOS and to try and delete Windows -in order to try and load it again- but this didn't work. (it wouldn't delete properly???)

HOWEVER, now DOS won't boot up without the boot disk, otherwise when I turn on the computer it just brings up a white flashing _ in the top corner.
    Any ideas on how I can format the hard drive and restart over again? {Or are there any threads good for this prob.}
    I did try at the c prompt format c: but it just says "incorrect MS-DOS version"

14. ~Candy~

Download a windows 98 boot disk, it should have the right version of format.exe on it......

http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml

Save to desktop, NOT to floppy, then double click and follow instructions.

Also, can you let us know what edits you made to the autoexec.bat and config.sys files.....I'm sure you have to address the .sys files for the cdrom drivers, but it'll help others if you post what you did here. Did you also have to copy MSCDEX.EXE to the hard drive?

15. blow-wave

blow-wave Thread Starter

Reformating NOW thank you!

EDITS:
    DOS commands [at the dos prompt type "edit config" or "edit autoexec"]

1st I edited config.sys by typing in

Device=SC-24/PCM_CD.sys /D:MSCD001

SC-24/PCM being the driver name
    /D:MSCD001 being the assigned drive name

2nd I edited autoexec.bat by typing in

C:\DOS\MSCDEX.exe /D:MSCD001

This I am told, it so that MSCDEX will be launched upon startup and point to the newly installed CD driver. Change the DOS to windows/commands if using windows.

* I am not sure if I had to copy MSCDEX to the hard drive, I think it came along when I saved the driver files.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163641

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice