1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Load line before Windows XP startup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by innovacreek, Mar 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. innovacreek

innovacreek Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

I hope you can help me out on this, as I am not so much into setting up my XP.

Problem is I have this "load line" before my XP loads which is very uncommon, prior to this, I got my OS corrupted so I had to reinstall.

1) Blank Screen (a few seconds)
    2) A load line (similar to |||||||||| appears) then loads
    3) XP then opens

While the xp, when running is ok, when I boot up, it seems that it is a little bit slower than before.

Just to note also that my hard drive is very healthy. (if it would help)

It may be that I did something wrong, just to be sure I attached a screenshot that I hope could help.

I look forward to your expert advises :)

Attached Files:

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

3. innovacreek

Hi Blues Harp!

Great to hear from you! It takes about 10 seconds for it to load.Then the usual loading of the XP. Really do hope it is not a sign of impending doom :(

4. blues_harp28

5. innovacreek

About a year and a half, it runs on an Intel dual core with 2 gig of ram. been using it for data (excel, word) only.
    Really appreciate the reply :)

6. blues_harp28

Can you post the TSG System Information Utility - found here.
    http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Valuable_links

It helps us see the hard drive size - free space etc.
    From your screenshot above - it could be just a glitch in the video card - operating system.

7. innovacreek

Hi Blues Harp,

I would like to apologize for the late reply, I have had issues with my inet provider. Thank you very much for getting back to me.

OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon processor, x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2038 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 77069 MB, Free - 67891 MB; D: Total - 228175 MB, Free - 154628 MB;
    Motherboard: ECS, G31T-M7
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

Hmm, I noticed that it read my processor incorrectly (I am using a dual core CPU E520 @ 2.5 ghz...(or it might just be profiling one processor (Processor Count: 2), just asking.. :)

Thanks again for helping Blues harp, btw I already tried formating my pc and the load line is still there.

8. JadeFalcon

JadeFalcon Banned

may possibly be something to do with NTLDR as thats what the white hashed progress bar is.

will try and look into some possible solutions for you..

-=edit=-

once your in windows goto control panel / system / hardware / device manager
    when your there expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI section then right the first CHANNEL you see in the list and goto properties most should say ULTRA DMD MODE 5 the only time it should be different is if referencing your CD/DVD drive and that should say UDMA MODE 2.. if it says NOT APPLICABLE then there is not a drive connected to that part of the chain and its nothing to worry about

you could also try setting the BIOS to auto detect your IDE devices again as it may have misread it once and its in the wrong DMA mode but the above info will tell you wether windows has the drives in the right DMA mode... if anything is incorrect then you will need to reset it in the device manager and also the bios as windows pulls the dma information from the bios

all windows machines do the white progress bar.. they are just so fast that it doesnt come up usually :)

9. blues_harp28

Hi, good to see you back.
    I'd also remove the Video card - clean the copper connection with a pencil eraser and reseat it back in its slot, making sure that it fits tightly.
    What are the chances that you have a spare Video card that you can try?

10. innovacreek

Hi Blues Harp,

Happy Easter!

If this would help, I do not have a separate video card installed. The current "video card" is internal on the motherboard.

As of yet, I do not have a separate video card available.

Can you suggest an alternative?

Really appreciate the Help!

11. innovacreek

Hi Jadefalcon,

Thanks for the help. I tried your suggestion and attached some screenshots for a better view.

This is the first time this happened to me and tried reformatting windows just to be sure, however it still pops up.Although it does not take a minutes to load, I noticed a slower time in loading

1) the american trends check
    2) Blank
    3)flickers
    4)Blank
    5)the "bar" .

I really do hope what is happening is not a sign of an impending doom on my pc :([​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

1) First Photo is the "Second" Primary IDE Channel
    2) Second photo is the "First" Primary IDE Channel
    3) Third Photo are the "things" that I see when I followed your instruction.

Thanks for the assistance Jadefalcon, I really appreciate it, and Happy Easter to you!

12. JadeFalcon

JadeFalcon Banned

ok so i see you have one SATA drive and one IDE drive.. what is the IDE drive ? a cd rom ? or do you have 2 hard drives in there ?

if its 1 cd rom and 1 hard drive then thats ok... if its 2 hard drives then one of them is incorrect

13. AtlBo

AtlBo

innovacreek, thanks for this thread. Thanks to you guys for the help, too.

Hope I'm not interrupting.

Was having a similar problem recently, also XP. On boot the process would stall for about 10-15 seconds after BIOS, but I was getting 3 periods. Then the boot went on. I am hesitant to go into BIOS, so I try to avoid it, but after a recent repair job with XP, I realized that my boot order was set with the DVD first. Never caused a slow down until after the XP repair from the XP install disk.

I think I set it that way back a while to see if I could boot using a USB HD. This was all after I installed an updated version of the BIOS for this machine. If I remember correctly, I then tested it with the DVD just to make sure I could use it if needed. I must have then decided to leave the boot order with the DVD first, so I wouldn't have to go into BIOS to change anything if I ever had a problem. The boot seemed to work normally, and I guess I was thinking it would be best that I be able to just pop the CD in the drive without having to go back into BIOS and risk messing up something.

The recent repair from the XP installation disk seems to have triggered the problem.

Thanks guys, hope you get your boot problem resolved quickly innovacreek

14. innovacreek

Hi Jadefalcon,

Yes, I only have 1 drive (2 partitions) and a dvd rom drive. What do you think caused the problem?

Thanks again jadefalcon!

15. innovacreek

Hi Atlbo,

Thank you very much for joining, I really feel that this kinds of concerns are not yet documented and may be of great help for those who know little about pc setups (like me)

If I remember right, this happened after I reformatted the pc, as with with the bios settings, I attached some screenshots:

[​IMG]
    for the advanced set up :

[​IMG]

I hope this can help in resolving the issue :)

You guys are really awesome!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1046698

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice