1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Load WebSite Content on Kindle ???

Discussion in 'Other Mobile Devices' started by BearKiller, Sep 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BearKiller

BearKiller Thread Starter

I have a Kindle that my wife poked in a drawer and forgot about when she got her >TWO< i-Pads.
    After it languished in the drawer for a few years, I resurrected it and now use it frequently as a portable picture album; using it thus, it has provided hours of picture viewing enjoyment.
    Enough about that --- I have a Kindle.

I have a gazillion very interesting image editing and photography tutorial articles book-marked on my computer that I can never seem to find the time to give them the attention they deserve.

On the other hand, I am often caught out in a truck, sitting in line for hours at some loading/unloading facility or other, with no means of internet connectivity.

Then, I just now had an epiphany (whatever that is), if I could somehow load these web-site articles into the Kindle, such that I could read them to a fare-the-well --- with no internet connection, I could finally get some of that information crammed into my head.

Is there a means of accomplishing this, short of screen-shotting every page and saving them as image files to be drag-dropped into the Kindle ?

Thanks for reading and all help is appreciated.

>>> EDIT <<< : I would prefer to do this via the USB connection.
    I have found a couple articles on how to do this wirelessly, but they seem overly complicated and I am not sure if I can still find all the pass-words, e-mail addresses, and such from so many years ago.

>>> EDIT 2 <<<: I "saved page as" in Chrome, created a folder "WebPages" in Kindle, and copied the saved info into the Kindle.
    My newly created folder did not show up on the KIndle menu; however, the wep-page showed up in "Pictures"
    I thought I was getting somewhere until I tapped the icon = all the pictures were there, all the diagrams and such, but not a single bit of the text.
    I then poked the file package into the Books and then the Video folder; and, it still insisted on displaying in Pictures and still no text.
    So.........., it is not going to be so easy as that.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  2. BearKiller

Okay --- hours later update on my quest:

I found that Amazon has a Chrome browser plug-in called "Send To Kindle" that is supposed to do what I was wanting.

So, I dig around and finally find the necessary credentials and get the KIndle connected to WIFI (I HATE WIFI) and had to log-in to Amazon on my wife's account, seeing as the KIndle is associated with her account.

After getting all of this accomplished, Amazon installed the "Send to Kindle" plug-in and it does seem to work, albeit it takes ages to accomplish a single simple webpage; I started one at about 2:AM and it was still chewing on it four hours later at 6:AM, but it finally did come through and show up on the Kindle.

Surely this extremely slow progress can't be right.

Before resorting to the Amazon plug-in, I went on the hunt of a couple 3rd-party plug-ins and both ended up on pages that said the project had expired and the plug-in was no longer available.

Besides the extreme slowness, there are two other huge downfalls to this Amazon Send to Kindle program;
    1. It only works through WIFI and the USB umbilical must be un-plugged for it to work at all. --- As I am constantly up-dating and adding pictures to the Kindle, it stays always USB connected to the computer except for when I head out the door with it.
    2. It only works when I am logged into my wife's Amazon account; this is a tremendous inconvenience for those times when I happen to find an article that I want to Send to Kindle; before it will work, I must log-out of my account and log-in to hers.

Surely there is a better solution than the one I have found.

If anyone knows of a better program, and hopefully one that will work via the USB connection, I would sure like to know about it.

3. BearKiller

On another site, someone suggested "Pocket" (used to be "ReadLater or somesuch).
    I installed Pocket; in fact, I had to install it on both devices, my computer and the Kindle.
    At first, Pocket seemed like it was going to be the trick; alas, either I am doing something wrong, or Pocket just isn't capable; it only took a few seconds between "Send to Pocket" and having it show up in the Kindle; however, all I am getting is text with NO pictures or diagrams.

Seeing as the articles I am wanting to save are about image editing and photography, the pictures and diagrams are the most important part; so, unless I can figure something out, Pocket has thus far proven to be a big failure.

Although it takes about half-a-night to accomplish it, at least Send-to-Kindle delivers the entire content.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216726

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice