1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

loaded kali linux want to go back to windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by FrankMackey6, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrankMackey6

FrankMackey6 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I loaded kali linux into my dell E5400 laptop. I did not know that windows 7 would be wiped away. I want to go back to windows 7 but dont have original window7 64 disk. I do however have another set of dell windows 7 disk that went to another computer of mine. The set of 3 disks are.... Dell drivers and utilities, (says on disk, "already installed on comp). Dell disk 2 says.. APPLICATION (already installed.....) cyberlink, power DVD and 3 windows 7. '
    can I use these disks? will they work. (I cant afford new software right now). and also could I use a HD out of other computer that had the exact same windows 7 disks installed on?
    Thank you in advance;
    FRANK

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Usually Dell discs are customized version of Windows. Don't know if it would work on a regular PC. But if you have the Certificate of Authenticity with the Activation Key ( usually a sticker on the machine) , you can try that disc.

If it doesn't work, you can legally download the Windows ISO DVD image file for Windows 7 from here:

http://www.howtogeek.com/186775/how-to-download-windows-7-8-and-8.1-installation-media-legally/

Then you can burn the ISO image to a DVD using a program like Imgburn, a free utility, from here: http://www.imgburn.com/

A hard drive with Win 7 already installed will not work in another computer, that is because Windows is installed / customized to the CPU and motherboard chip set of that PC.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Frank:

What's the "service tag" number and/or "express service code" number on your Dell Latitude E5400 laptop?

What's the exact version of Windows on its Certificate-Of-Authenticity sticker?

Do you live in the U.S.A. or in another country?

---------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!