1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

loaded second OS and cant unload it

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by psycic, Jan 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. psycic

psycic Thread Starter

Recently I decided to format my computer to uninstall win xp. A few of my programs have compatibility issues with it. I attempted to reformat and reload win ME. I must have missed a step or something. Either that, or formatting your computer with Win XP is a little different. Anyway I thought everything was working correctly and loaded up win ME just fine. However the format didn't work. I still had all of my files and win XP loaded. I am able to use either OS I want. I have a large hard drive and was happy about how this turned out. Seemed to solve everything. Unfortunately win ME didnt work optimally. Many of the drivers werent working correctly, or real basic drivers were loaded. I had display issues and couldnt run my programs correctly. I have decided to just bag the whole thing untill a later time but I cant figure out how to axe the second OS. I dont want to make it run correctly. I want it gone totally. Any help would be appreciated. I would just go on the internet and get drivers for the video and sound cards but I already deleted all of the files pertaining to the new OS trying to get rid of it. It is still there though and is a nuisance everytime I start my comp. It is taking up space as well. I need to dump it.

-Mike

2. Dan O

Dan O

You need to reload the boot sector. I recommend you boot using Windows 98/ME Startup diskette. Then run FDISK /MBR, FORMAT C: /S/U, and install ME.

3. psycic

psycic Thread Starter

really though- I dont want to reinstall ME at this time. I dont have the time. I did before, but now that the holiday's are over I just want to get rid of the win ME that is the second OS on the comp- I will stay with XP for now as my programs work fairly well. there are problems but they still run.
    How can I delete the second OS?

4. Brooks

Brooks Guest

To remove Windows ME, start Windows XP and then delete the folder that contains Windows ME

Now edit the Boot.ini file

Edit the Boot.ini File
    To view and edit the Boot.ini file:
    Right-click My Computer , and then click Properties .

-or-

In Control Panel, open the Performance and Maintenance tool, and then click System .

On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery .

Under System Startup , click Edit .

Delete the reference that does not say XP.

This was taken from http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q289022

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!