Loading an OS to a Blank HDD, Options & How-To?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

xolorey

Hi! Hopefully, I've chosen the correct forum for this query.

My husband's HP Pavilion Dv6 HDD recently crashed. I'm about to order a 1 TB SATA replacement, and honestly, I'm not 100% on how to set it up. I know how to physically swap the old with the new, but I'm unsure how to upload an OS.

The sticker with his key is too faded to be able to read it, so I don't even have that.

We're basically broke (4 kids, 2 full-time college students, only he is working), so I was trying to find a way to be frugal about this, but we need to get this done.

Is purchasing a Recovery Disc + a Product Key a viable option?
or
If I can boot the dying HDD long enough to copy the OS to (a million) CD's, would I still need to purchase a key, or is that basically a null option without the original key?

With buying a new HDD I just don't have the extra Benjamen to lay down on a new OS. Please Help.

Oddba11

Jim
If the PC will still boot with the drive, you can use Magic Jelly Bean. Guide here: http://www.pcworld.com/article/246040/software/how-to-find-your-windows-or-office-product-key.html

The HP guide for ordering Recovery Discs is here: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07143

Or lastly, a new OS installation disc.

You would need the Recovery Disc or an installation disc plus your key to perform the installation. Copying off to CD's or DVD's is not an option. Although, if the HDD is stable enough, you may be able to simply clone the old drive to the new drive. It largely depends on exactly what failed and if it's still useable.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
What's the complete model number(M/N) of that HP Pavilion dv6 series laptop?
(Note: A dash and additional characters after dv6 comprises the complete model number.)

What's the exact serial number(S/N) and product number(P/N) on it?

Once that laptop is correctly identified, we should be able to direct you to where you can purchase the factory restore disc kit for it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

xolorey

Hey guys, thanks for your tips!

Jim,
That PC World guide has a video that answered a lot of questions I had- thanks! The HDD just crashed but If I try some backdoor entries, I can boot it for a short amount of time before it crashes again, so I'm not 100% on why the fail happened (other than age, maybe). But I will def look into the cloning option.

Frank,
That would have solved some problems for me, but unfortunelty the sticker with that info is faded to basically nothing. I've searched everywhere and can't find the completed model number. I'm sure there is something I could download to find it, but it's such a pain to get on and then that's only temporary before it crashes again. But I'll see if I can't the next time I turn it on.

Appreciate you fella's!

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Frank,
That would have solved some problems for me, but unfortunelty the sticker with that info is faded to basically nothing. I've searched everywhere and can't find the completed model number.
That's why I put clear tape over those important stickers, and I also write that information in a notebook that I have for each computer.

If you have a magnifying glass and can correctly read any of those 3 numbers, it would be helpful.

---------------------------------------------------------------

You should also note that what seems to be a HDD crash can also be a power supply failure. If the power supply is not providing clean steady voltage to the drive it can easily be mistaken for a HDD crash. I'm not suggesting you go out and buy one, but keep in mind if you install a new drive and the same thing happens then you have a second option and a second drive.

Did you upgrade to Windows 10? If you did, you don't need to worry about the product key. Just download the ISO of Win 10 and install. When it's finished, it will check to make sure your Win 10 is authorized to run on your hardware.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online