loading win7 on a new hard drive , with other issues ?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tattoo45

ok i have a toshiba A215 laptop, the previous owner has updated it from vista to win7 , well the hard drive that was in it crashed , so i bought a new one , my 1) issues is i'm not sure which edition of win7 it had ? and 2)issue is whether its was 32 or 64 bit ? i didn't have it that long and forgot to write anything down about it ! i have a usb drive with all editions , just trying to figure out which to use ?

tattoo45

yes the product key is readable , but above that , the sticker is wiped off any info !

Gr3iz

Mark
If the system came with Vista initially, the COA is likely for Vista ...

tattoo45

yes thats true , but windows allowed people to upgrade to win7 , and the previous owner did that , but now i need to reinstall software on the new hard drive !

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
i have a toshiba A215 laptop, the previous owner has updated it from vista to win7 , well the hard drive that was in it crashed , so i bought a new one , my 1) issues is i'm not sure which edition of win7 it had ? and 2)issue is whether its was 32 or 64 bit ?

the product key is readable , but above that , the sticker is wiped off any info !
What's the complete model number of that Toshiba Satellite A215 series laptop?
The complete model number will have a dash and additional characters after A215.

From what I can determine at this point, the A215 series laptops come with Windows XP Professional or Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Gr3iz

Mark
If it came with Vista, Microsoft will not allow you to upgrade to Win7 for free. Perhaps, when the system was first sold, Win7 was close to release and Toshiba allowed an upgrade, but that offer is long history. If the COA says it is for Vista, you cannot use it for Win7.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Toshiba A215-S7416
Toshiba Satellite A215-S7416
(Product number PSAFGU-02K001)

It appears it originally came with Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit.

Capture.JPG

Does yours have the same or a different product number?

Which country was it originally purchased in?

-------------------------------------------------------------

TerryNet

Terry
No; if a purchase of Windows 7 is needed it should be a retail version.

tattoo45

well update : i bought a new copy of win7 pro from a local computer guy , and i'm working on getting everything i need installed , thanks for the help everyone !

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
That model laptop supports a maximum of 4 GB of DDR2 RAM.
It came with only 2 GB, so hopefully you maxed it out with 4 GB.

You didn't say if the "local computer guy" sold you a retail copy or OEM copy of Windows 7 Professional, and if it's 32-bit or 64-bit.
Hopefully, you're able to activate it once it's installed.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online