1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

loading windows 95 into virtual box

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by PhantomBlights, Feb 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PhantomBlights

PhantomBlights Thread Starter

hello all , i am running windows 8 opperating system and i have virtual box version 4.3.20r96997 and i have loaded windows 95 into it and am getting a message when it starts up that says

Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run windows or a windows application.
    The windows registry or System . INI file refers to the device but the device file no longer exists.
    if you deleted the file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstall or setup program. if you still want to use the application associated with the device file try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file, vnetsup.vxd , nwlink.vxd, nwredir.vxd , nscl.vxd, vredir.vxd, ndis.vxd,ndis2sup.vxd , vnetbios.vxd it says the same thing about mising the system .ini file after each one of these i dont have the windows disk just the files to load it that i got online , and i watched a youtube video on how to load 95 into virtual box, i know the files have something to do with the network but i dont know what . any help with this would be grately appreiciated i am trying to be able to play LucasArts Outlaws and this would allow me to do it..

thank you in advance

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. PhantomBlights

thanks ill give it a try does it still work with virtual box that particular fix

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It should, the error is regarding network files not how it's installed.

5. PhantomBlights

k, ill do thhat thanks hopefully it helps

6. PhantomBlights

i went to the website that you suggested , and i did follow the processs on checking the dial up connection i did it asks for disk 8 , i loaded it but it was missing splitter.vxd so now im at a loss as to what to do now, i do kinda feel like an idiot for keep having to ask questions on what i need to do , so i do thank you again for your help

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    So you unchecked the "Dial-Up Networking" box and rebooted, did it clear all the messages?

If so you can just stop there. Do you need this Windows 95 installation to access any networking features?

Can I ask why you need to run Windows 95?

8. PhantomBlights

i did reboot it didnt clear the messages infact it said i was missing the splitter.vxd file ,and the reason i wanted to run windows 95 is because i wanted to run some old school games that require that windows

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You wouldn't happen to have Windows 98?

Is it still missing all the same files or ONLY splitter.vxd now?

For games you don't need to reinstall any of the networking components.

10. PhantomBlights

ok , how do i go about loading a windows 95 game into virtual box , because all the tutorials i read where very confusing about how to do it.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Is the game on CD or floppy? Virtual Box has access to drives, haven't used it in a while but you should be able to access them from My Computer or add them through the VB menus.

12. PhantomBlights

it was a download so no physical disk of any kind

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  14. PhantomBlights

it would if i could get a copy of the guest add ons that help it do more but the one from the makers of virtual box doesent work i cant get anything to come up on the shared folder , and to top it off every time i try to do something it doesent matter what i get different error messages, im starting to think using virtual box is not worth the effort it require to use it and or my images for windows are bad, i saw on ebay an outlaws cd that had a compatibility cd with it so icould use the game and also found copies of windows 95 on ebay also. so it seems like i might be crap out of luck with this .

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    There are other Virtual PC programs out there if Virtual Box isn't working out for you. VMWare Player, Virtual PC, etc.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142351

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice