1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Loading windows trouble

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by td2269, Dec 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. td2269

td2269 Thread Starter

:confused: Something has went wrong in my PC. For the last few days when booting up, it will not go right to windows. Instead I get a dark screen with 'American Megatrends' on the heading. And also has the words AMIBIOS (c)1999--celeron 400--and a counter checking NURAM. And the mother board 3 across the bottom. This runs for about a minute before windows will load. Does anyone know why and how to get rid of this time killer? Thank you! I have an emachine 400i and run win 98 , 2 hd's totaling 24.3 gb, 256 mb ram, HP 9900 cd-rw, HP 4200c scanjet scanner, And a canon BJC-2000 printer. Attachment has picture of same screen.

2. Dan O

Dan O

The NURAM is used to store system configuration data. That is, the NURAM will contain values which describe the present configuration of the system. For example, NURAM contains information describing the capacity of a fixed disk or diskette, the type of display, the amount of memory, time, date, etc. Additionally, the model and submodel values stored in ROM are copied to NURAM whenever a special configuration program, such as SET Configuration, is executed. The purpose of the SET Configuration program is to store values characterizing the configuration of the system in NVRAM. Thus for a system that is configured properly, the model and submodel values in NURAM will be equal respectively to the model and submodel values stored in ROM. If these values are not equal, this indicates that the configuration of the system has been modified.

I would go into BIOS Setup and check for setting to disable the count down.

3. td2269

td2269 Thread Starter

Sorry for the duplicate entry, didn't think 1st. went through. How do I get to BIOS Setup to change setting?

4. Dan O

Dan O

Here you go, driectly from e-Machine web site, http://www.e4me.com/support/view_faq.html?faq=1004988072&topic=5

Q: How can I find out if I have the latest BIOS version?

A: Immediately after the eMachines logo is displayed on your screen press the ESC key to view the boot-up process. If you do not see the eMachines KN5320-E v1.01.00 displayed please call 1 (541) 938-6492 to request the latest BIOS to be mailed to you OR you can download it from the "About Additional and updated Drivers" section of the web site.

5. td2269

td2269 Thread Starter

Tried to follow advice about pressing Esc. when the emachine logo appears but it doesn't show up now either. Thank you for your help so far, now at least I don't feel completely lost. Going to check emachine website on your suggestion. Thank you T.E.D.

6. td2269

td2269 Thread Starter

:D Tried to follow your good advice and it was dead on target. Only thing is there wasn't a way to get to my setup program. (By pressing the ESC button when the emachine logo appeared) Only problem is the logo wouldn't appear. Went through all my notes and manuals and read something about the battery only lasting 3 years. Thought I'd replace it and the logo came back and I went into the setup program and all is 100% now. Thank you so much for helping me get straightened out. Happy New Year! T.E.D.

7. Dan O

Dan O

Wow, good job your part. Thank you for your reply and sharing the good news.

Have a great New Year.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63303

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice