1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

loading XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by draggar, Dec 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. draggar

draggar Thread Starter

:confused:
    i have a copy of windows XP, and i am not sure what to do to load it into my system. i am currently running windows ME.
    can anyone hepl me with any info on how to load it.

Attached Files:

2. angel

angel

Congrats on wanting to get rid of Windows ME!
    In simple terms, you should be able to just pop it in and upgrade.
    However, I would suggest a clean install rather than on top of ME. This would require you to format your drive (deleting everything) and installing XP from scratch.
    Do you have a preference?
    Either way, you'll want to first make sure that your hardware/software will be compatible with XP. I believe if you pop in the CD, one of the options is to run a check before installing.

3. Ace4me

Ace4me

I settled on a clean install, partially because my ME was an upgrade install from Windows 98. It all wen't well on my 1 1/2 year old Compaq. Had some problems with the USB keyboard (should have loaded a Compaq Softpaq upgrade first). Trickiest part was getting my Outlook Express mail folders back - actually found the answers I needed by fishing through the TSG forums.

I like XP so far (3 weeks later). Just expect to do some installs of drivers. The ones that you get with XP may work, but you really want the most current ones available.

regards, John A

4. Ace4me

Ace4me

I guess I didn't really address you question. At a high level (and assuming you have a 'full' versus 'upgrade' package and that you've rune the XP upgrade advisor and got a green light):

a) back up your files (emails, data files, favorites, contacts/address book, etc.) (I did it to a CD)
    b) back the same stuff up again if you can (I did it to another computer over my home network). This turned out to be important 'cause XP couldn't seem to read the CD that ME created.
    c) make sure your bios is set to boot from CD BEFORE hard disk
    d) insert the XP CD in the drive
    e) shut down and then restart
    f) XP install process will then kick in and give you the opportunity to reformat your C: drive/partition. I did so and selected NTFS for the file system (seemed like a good idea based on what I had read here).
    g) XP will install - not very many questions - a reasonably straightforward process
    h) fart around with any communications, drivers, etc. as necessary to get the thing working to your satisfaction
    i) re-install your applications from original media
    j) restore your saved data

It's kind of a scary process to a semi-computer-literate like me, but with some help from friends and this forum it seems to have been worth the trip.

Have fun, John A

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!