Loading your Personal Settings

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

eenochs

I am trying to fix a laptop for one of my users. The laptop is a Dell Latitude D610 2.13 Ghz, 512Mb. If you sign on with the network cable attached and try to log into the domain the laptop will sit at loading your personal settings and nothing. It has sit at least 30 minutes and nothing. If you reboot and log in with the network cable disconnected it will log in fine. I can't figure this one out.

I have renamed the users profile on the laptop to username.old and windows went through and recreated the profile. the only thing that might be a issue is the laptop was added to the domain on a different domain controller. the user is out of alabama and working here temporarily. According to him this laptop has never logged in before so I'm not sure if that is a problem or not.

Thanks in advance.

Well since you don't mention OS, domain type, or specifics its going to be hard to help -

If you reboot and log in with the network cable disconnected it will log in fine. I can't figure this one out.

According to him this laptop has never logged in before so I'm not sure if that is a problem or not.
these 2 sentences don't make sense. You say its never been logged into before but above that you say your logging into the PC. Are you logging into the PC directly or into the domain?

Just an FYI if you have 1 domain and its W2K or W2K3 ann you have all the domains trusted it should log on fine provided its getting the proper IP/DNS information.

Remember DNS is VERY critical for AD connection and login. Make sure you see the computer account in AD (if this is a W2K or W2K3 domain) and make sure all the IP and DNS information is correct.

eenochs

I apologize for the lack of info. To answer StumpedTechy I am trying to log into the domain and when i do that it gets stuck at Applying Computer settings. It has set for 30 minutes and nothing. If I unplug the network cable and log in locally to the machine then it logs in fine.

the reason i brought up the different DMC's was to give as much info as possible.

Applying Computer settings

Have you checked the DNS and ensured its all correct? Also you don't mention how these 2 sites yours and alabama are linked.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online