1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Loads of faults and no error messages!!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Hexecal, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hexecal

Hexecal Thread Starter

OK, lots of problems with my PC

I have noticed that my internet download speeds have dropped ever since I used a program named "TCP optimizer". I know this program makes a registry back, but I have deleted this folder along with the program, and so I cant restore m settings by simply re-downloading the program.

So I decided to perform system restore.

Attempt number one failed with no changes made to the system

On attempt 2 I chose a date closer to the current one, the PC restarted, nothing appeared, no start menu, nothing. So I restarted the computer, still, no start menu, no desktop shortcuts. Nothing.
    So I pressed ctrl+alt+del and went to close off explorer.exe and started it again from new task. Everything came back :)

But then I re-alised My Norton 2006 had gone back to the previous Norton 2005, so Instead of uninstalling and re-installing, I went to system restore. But all tha came up was a white box were the system restore menu was meant to be.

I went to go online to see if I could google something up. But, mu internet was not working. Wierd, I rebooted into safe-mode and logged into the administrator account, nope, still the same. Internet not working and system restore showing a white box.

I have since found that I also get a white box from the accounts menu in control panel.

I now that it's not my internet connection playing up because I have booted into a Linux Live-CD were I am able to access the internet.

I really cannot afford the risk of re-formatting my Hard-Drive as my XP Pro CD is feared to have ran out of activations (I found out after installing it onto my aunts pc).

And no, I cannot perform ASR as I have no system backups.

Does anybody now what I can do.

The PC in error is an XP-Pro, but I do have access to an XP-Home machine, so If I need to replace files, please bear that in mind.

Thank you for taking some time to read this, If you need any extra info, I really do noy mind giving it, It's just that this computer is quite important to me and I need to get it back up and running A.S.A.P for reasons I wish not to discuss. (Nothing Illegal, don't worry :) It's family stuff)

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

I suggest taking the hard drive and installing it into another computer as a slave drive and then backup all of your data manually. When this is done re-install in the original computer as a master where it was and then do a complete re-install of your OS and all of your applications.

Oh to replace files on the XP Pro computer you will need a Windows XP Pro install disk or a recovery disk from your computer manufacturer. If you do not have the Windows Install cd according to Microsoft you are running illegal.

3. Hexecal

Hexecal Thread Starter

I would do an OS re-install, It's just that I'm worried about it not activating. will it re-activate if I re-install it on a PC that has successfully activated with it before?

btw - yes I do have an XP-pro disc so I can use the recovery console if necessary :)

EDIT: Anybody know?

4. Hexecal

Hexecal Thread Starter

Nobody?

Sorry for double post but I do need the help...

5. Hexecal

Hexecal Thread Starter

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 19:39:50, on 29/07/2006
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
    R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: Norton Internet Security - {9ECB9560-04F9-4bbc-943D-298DDF1699E1} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
    O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O2 - BHO: TGTSoft Explorer Toolbar Changer - {C333CF63-767F-4831-94AC-E683D962C63C} - C:\Program Files\TGTSoft\StyleXP\TGT_BHO.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton Internet Security - {0B53EAC3-8D69-4b9e-9B19-A37C9A5676A7} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LVCOMS] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\QCDriver\LVCOMS.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [STYLEXP] C:\Program Files\TGTSoft\StyleXP\StyleXP.exe -Hide
    O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [NeroHomeFirstStart] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMFirstStart.exe
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\npjpi150_06.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\npjpi150_06.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O16 - DPF: {0E5F0222-96B9-11D3-8997-00104BD12D94} (PCPitstop Utility) - http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/PCPitStop.CAB
    O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
    O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1145798303264
    O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{4A0F92BA-1A00-4B8A-9952-079AA1A8D297}: NameServer = 192.168.1.1
    O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{B51D94AC-FAC0-46FA-883A-CA7CDC1EA8E4}: NameServer = 192.168.1.1
    O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{4A0F92BA-1A00-4B8A-9952-079AA1A8D297}: NameServer = 192.168.1.1
    O17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\..\{4A0F92BA-1A00-4B8A-9952-079AA1A8D297}: NameServer = 192.168.1.1
    O17 - HKLM\System\CS3\Services\Tcpip\..\{4A0F92BA-1A00-4B8A-9952-079AA1A8D297}: NameServer = 192.168.1.1
    O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: WRNotifier - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WRLogonNTF.dll
    O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Network Proxy (ccProxy) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1150\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: InCD Helper (InCDsrv) - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
    O23 - Service: ISSvc (ISSVC) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ISSVC.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: KService - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\KService\KService.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
    O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
    O23 - Service: Remote Packet Capture Protocol v.0 (experimental) (rpcapd) - Unknown owner - %ProgramFiles%\WinPcap\rpcapd.exe" -d -f "%ProgramFiles%\WinPcap\rpcapd.ini (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Sandra Data Service (SandraDataSrv) - SiSoftware - C:\Program Files\SiSoftware\SiSoftware Sandra Lite 2005.SR3\RpcDataSrv.exe
    O23 - Service: Sandra Service (SandraTheSrv) - SiSoftware - C:\Program Files\SiSoftware\SiSoftware Sandra Lite 2005.SR3\RpcSandraSrv.exe
    O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
    O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Unknown owner - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: StyleXPService - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\TGTSoft\StyleXP\StyleXPService.exe
    O23 - Service: Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine (svcWRSSSDK) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: TVersityMediaServer - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\TVersity\Media Server\MediaServer.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: WLTRYSVC - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\wltrysvc.exe

6. Hexecal

Hexecal Thread Starter

I've just gone to Webroot Spy Sweeper in safe mode, I have been told that it's damaged and needs to be re-installed. I think I may have had a worm attached to system restore.

7. Hexecal

Hexecal Thread Starter

Ok, managed to re-install Spysweeper and Norton 2006 - I still cannot go on to the internet. I recieve the message "Failed to Query TCP/IP Settings of the Connection. Cannot Proceed". I'm pretty desperate now, I think I'm gonna have to do a format and if I cannot activate windows, than I'm gonna have to patch (I can do this seeing that I HAVE purchased the software right) The only downside will be loss of windows update which shouldn't be too much of a loss as My Firewall should protect me enough right (BTW - I try to use as little amount of Microsoft programs as possible) and I have SP2 on disk somewhere.

But If anybody has any suggestions I'd really apreciate them right now... I have also sent an email to microsoft.

8. Hexecal

Hexecal Thread Starter

Ok, I have managed to revive my internet connection and I am now updating my security preograms. I will do some scans afterwards to see if They find anything. I am quite happy though that I might not have to re-format my PC. I'm just wondering why blank screens appear on system restore, and user accounts... wierd...

9. Hexecal

Hexecal Thread Starter

So, no idea how, but now my PC is all back to normal. No viruses etc. though.... I'm a little confused on what happened, but, oh well...

10. gigi55

gigi55

You mentioned that you were getting an TCR/IP error message - I get one, too. How did you correct the problem? I have XP home and am not running a network. I would appreciate your input. Thank you.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487518

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice