1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Local access only for ipod, nook, roku, laptop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by davemcmahon, Dec 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davemcmahon

davemcmahon Thread Starter

Hi,

Our wireless connection suddenly switched from local and internet access to local access only last night. We can not get internet access on our iPod 4, Nook color, Roku (netflix or pandora), or HP laptop. Our service provider is Cablevision - optimum online. A few different times last night the internet access returned for about 30 seconds, and we could quickly access an internet site, but then it would stop working again. This morning, same thing.

I tried rebooting the router and the modem, but that didn't seem to help. All of the lights on the modem and router are on and appear to be lit as normal. The local connection strength is excellent. Just no internet connection. Since it is happening on all of our devices, I assume it is an issue with the modem, router, or service we are getting from Cablevision? Any thoughts on what I can do or which of these three is most likely to be causing the problem? Do I need to have Cablevision repair come to the house or does the modem or router likely need to be replaced? Thanks for any help.

2. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

Make/model of modem?
    Make/model of router if separate?

Are these both wired and wireless connections?
    If just wireless, does a wired connection to the router work? (works = wireless radio or settings on the router)
    Have you tried connecting the computer directly to the modem? (works = router problem, doesn't work = modem / ISP problem)

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    have you checked with the ISP - if they have an issue in your area

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030442

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice