1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Local access only

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sarfa, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sarfa

sarfa Thread Starter

Hi! I use 2 computers to access the Internet through the same wireless DSL connection. On one computer, I only get local access but no connection to the Internet. However, I can access the Internet if I use another network connection that is within this computers range, so I guess there is nothing wrong with my computer. Also, I can access the Internet with my other computer through the same DSL modem that just gives local access with the first computer, so I guess there is nothing wrong with the modem either. I tried the diagnose and repair option of my wireless card, but it didn't find anything. What could the problem be and how can I fix it??

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What's the brand and model of your modem? What is the brand and model of your router if you are using one?

Please show for each PC ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

Nothing wrong with your modem or pcs.
    One pc works and the other doesn't. Why? Mac address filtering by the ISP

That means they registered the mac address of the working pc to the ip they give you. You put a different machine on which a different nic card and walla not the same mac address and hence no ip.

Go to run and type cmd then hit enter on the working pc.
    Type ipconfig /all and write down the physical address [this is the nics mac address]

Go into the nic properties of the NON-working pc [configure button]. Go to the Advanced tab and select "network address". Click on "value" and type in that physical address number you noted from the working pc. OK the change.

Now both have the same mac address and both will be able to get on.

Really should get a wireless router, clone the mac to the wan port and get all your pcs on at the same time.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701358

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice