1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Local admin group accounts in a domain etc.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by cakeman, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cakeman

cakeman Thread Starter

Hi all..

We have unfortunately just ended up with our first Vista machine here at work and 30 mins into my setup Ive already run into a question..

Dell, Vista Business, joined into our domain

Having googled around a bunch, I understand that the local admin account is disabled upon install.

I found a tip that recommended running cmd as admin and
    net user administrator password
    net user administrator activate:yes

I performed this, got command successful returned from both.. but when I try to login as <compname>\Administrator @ the login, or try to use the same to perform any tasks on the system I get denied and am told bad user or pw.

I ran user setup as domain admin and confirmed that my local user account is part of the administrator group... found that the local Administrator account was still set as disabled, so I cleared the disabled checkbox.. Im too paranoid to use "Set password" however in case my prior password did somehow work (it doesnt appear to have) and by then Setting Password I'd be screwing my admin account of its encrypted files (do I even have any if the accounts never been logged into?)

Yknow what started all this? Trying to delete Adobe Speed Launcher and Dell Network Manager from the Startup in the start menu.. 'cause god forbid I do that without being a bloody domain admin.

Suggestions as to why my local user account (lets call it bob) can't do any admin functions though Im part of Adminstrators group locally? What have I done wrong as far as setting up Local Admin? Can I indeed Set Password safely on local admin?

thanks,

Brett

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Why fight the system? Use an account other than the "Administrator" account. It would appear Vista just isn't designed for that to be a user account.

3. cakeman

cakeman Thread Starter

I mention in the post that I confirmed a local user account I had created is in the Administrators group and yet still every time I try and do a single damn thing (like deleting a simple shortcut) I have to go trackdown our Domain Admin so he can enter his Admin login for the whole network...

Brett

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!