Local Area Connect:Network cable unplugged

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jmkbmhs

until recently I've never had a problem but now it seems that every 5 mins I lose connection. It does this on my computer and my roomates so its not just me. What would be the best way to go about? New router, bring modem to cable company? or is it something I can fix myself.

This is almost definitely a bad router. Try a firmware update and if that does not work if its under warranty go back to the manufacturer or buy a new one. Even if your dsl/cable goes down you should not get an ethernet cable unplugged because it is still plugged in and networked to your router.

If your router has the latest firmware try and go directly to the modem and see if the PC gets this same message.

Take the router out of the mix entirely and connect the modem directly to a PC. If you don't get disconnected it is your router. If you still get bumped it is the modem.

Jmkbmhs

I never even thought about just going straight to computer, but assuming its the router what would be the one to get? I have a desktop and 2 roomates use wireless. Plus they use a wireless thing for their PS2's for online gaming. So I need a router that is hardline/wireless capable. Im using a D-link right now because both the wireless gaming devices are made by them. should I keep the same model router and just get a new one?

Couriant

James
it maybe the connection between the router and the modem. Double check that. If fact, swap the cable from your machine with the other cable and see if the problem only happens to you. IF the others are fine and your machine is not, then the cable is at fault.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts