Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Local Area Connection Advanced Properties...

6K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to set up a home network between two computers. Computer no. 1 has direct access to the internet via a modem connected using an ethernet cable, computer no. 2 is the client computer which i want to connect to computer no. 1 so both computers have internet access. I've done this before but I've encountered a message which is probably what is causing an error to occur when i run the network config wizard. When I right click on the local area connection icon and go to properties, then go to advanced a message is displayed saying that i need to perform a system restore due to windows not being able to display the properties of the connection.

It then says that the WMI (Windows Management Instrementation) information has been altered/modified. I can't type out the message word-for-word due to it being in portuguese. Normally this is where I would check a box to allow other network users to connect through the computer's internet connection.

Can anyone explain to me why this message is being shown and how I may go about fixing this problem?

Thanks for your time,

- Tony

See less See more
#2 ·
First off, why not use a broadband router? They're cheap, and they do this job MUCH better than ICS. If you must use ICS, try this repair first.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

#3 ·
Hi JohnWill,

Thanks for your response. I gave those commands a try but each time I did it came up with a warning stating that it wasn't possible to obtain information about the administrator of the computer: [computerName]. It then goes on by saying that some of the commands used are not recognized. After the warning of the first command, it states that it's necessary to restart the computer for the changes to take effect.

After inputting the second command, only the warning that displayed previously gets displayed again. I tried restarting but I'm still sitting with the limited or no connectivity status of the connection.

Why are these warnings appearing? Does the operating system lack certain files/programs?

Thanks for the help,

- Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.