1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

local area connection doesn't have a valid ip configuration

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by pugmastaflex, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pugmastaflex

pugmastaflex Thread Starter

Hi all,

I came here off word of mouth and I am going to donate immediately after I get some help!

I'm having a lot of trouble. One of my computers is getting the "local area connection doesn't have a valid ip configuration" error from troubleshooting my network. My network is an "Unidentified Network" with NO NETWORK or INTERNET ACCESS. This happened ever since I installed a new modem. The modem is WORKING with all other computers. My NIC card for the computer that is not connecting, is also working since I tested it on another modem. I had to call the ISP to activate the new modem. I spoke with them and they said nothing is blocked on their end.

So I've narrowed it down to my computer since there is no hardware issue. I connect by LAN, FYI. I've tried new cables, etc. My computer has no "BONJOUR" in it nor does it have any firewalls set up, just Windows Security Essentials.

I noticed in my IPCONFIG /ALL that no IP shows up for my default gateway (should be 192.168.0.1). DHCP is enabled. I tried static IP as well to no avail.

I've attached a screenshot of my IPCONFIG /ALL. I've tried literally everything that I could think of. I've called Time Warner and I've checked every forum. This forum had the smartest people on it, so I wanted to give a shot posting here.

I would be so grateful if anyone could help me. Thank you so much.

Attached Files:

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

pugm :
    Hello & welcome to Tech Guy Forum.

We will need additional information.
    Please run this forum's system info utility & post the results.
    http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Valuable_links

We need the brand, model & model # of your router.

Please provide the brand, model & model # of your computer.

No firewall. Presumably you did NOT disable the W7 firewall. If you did, please re-enable it.
    MSE does not contain a FW.

When did the problem begin? Sometimes the exact date is important.

What changed? Installation or removal of hardware or software; driver update; W7 update; MSE update; update to Adobe or Java?

Boot to safe mode with networking & report the results.
    RIGHT click "command prompt"
    Left click "run as administrator"
    Type: c:
    Press enter
    Type: ipconfig /all
    enter

A screen shot is fine.
    Also, right click the title bar of command prompt
    Left click "edit"
    Left click "select all"

Left click "edit"
    Left click "copy"

Paste into notepad
    Save the file.
    Return to this forum
    attach or paste the results.
    Pasting into the reply is easier to read vs a screen shot.
    :)

You have also tested the IP stack of the computer.
    Good job of checking the cables.
    (y)

RF123

3. pugmastaflex

Thanks a lot for your reply. I will get back to you when I get home to check it out. I am using my laptop to access the internet while I troubleshoot.

4. pugmastaflex

So should I start a new thread since it seems the thread has changed focus.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Remember to power cycle the modem when switching the device connected to it.

There could be a cable (between modem and computer) defect. Since your ethernet port is gigabit it may be the case that all eight wires need to be good.

What is the brand and model of the modem?

6. pugmastaflex

Hi Terry, the brand and model of the modem is Motorola SB6121 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem . My computer is homebuilt. All of the wires have been tested to other devices. The modem is also in working order and works on my laptop. I believe it has something to do with my windows 7 recognizing the device, but I can't get further than that.

Thanks

7. pugmastaflex

Hi Terry, the brand and model of the modem is Motorola SB6121 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem . My computer is homebuilt. All of the wires have been tested to other devices. The modem is also in working order and works on my laptop. I believe it has something to do with my windows 7 recognizing the device, but I can't get further than that.

Thanks

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sometimes a NIC does not auto sync a speed with a particular modem. In Device Manager right click on the ethernet - Properties - Advanced tab. For the 'Speed & Duplex' property try different values (e.g., 100 Mbps full duplex).

9. pugmastaflex

Hi Terry, thanks for your help. I will try this when I get home and update you.

10. pugmastaflex

So I don't actually have that option under my advanced tab on the gigabit adapter properties...

11. pugmastaflex

I made some headway I think. It's now no longer an unidentified network. I manually changed the IPv4 to be the gateway to my modem (192.168.100.1) so at least now when I ping the modem from CMD it sends packets. However, only one of my MAC addresses (the laptop I'm typing on) shows up on the modem admin page. The computer still isn't being recognized, but at least it can connect to the network. Now I need to connect it to the internet.

12. lunarlander

lunarlander

Try doing a ipconfig on your laptop and note down the DNS server ip addresses. Then put them in the PC that is not connecting.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!