1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Local Area Connection problem.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sadpuppy, Sep 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sadpuppy

sadpuppy Thread Starter

Hello, everyone. I need some advice on how to get my local area connection work. I have a HP Compaq Presario 2100 laptop, model # 2104US. I am currently experienced some problem with my laptop (suspected some virus). Any way, I think I got rid of it and reinstalled all of my software and hard drive back. The weird thing is I got wireless network connection going but the only thing I couldn't get it works is the Local Area Connection. I got this message " A net work cable is unplugged". I am a computer Illiterate so I have no idea how to make it works. I couldnt remember how I get connected before when I first got my labtop, but one thing I was sure that I have no problem of getting connection in school or other public places that I've been before I reinstall my labtop. My sister laptop is working fine so I dont think any wrong with the DSL service at home. I checked with my main computer at home (also HP) and noticed one software that I lost is the 1394 net adapter. I currently have the wireless network connection picking up the DSL signal from the router at home, but I think the local area connection that is not working restricted my connection to the internet. I really help please. I really this laptop working again before my school start. Any one?? Please help me!!!!

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    "A network cable is unplugged"

This message means there is no wired cable plugged into the ethernet port(the one that looks like an oversize phone line port). This is a normal message if you are using a wireless connection and not a wired connection.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, this is the software updates and support site for your laptop:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...us&dlc=en&submit.y=6&submit.x=8&lang=en&cc=us

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. sadpuppy

sadpuppy Thread Starter

Thank you for your advice. I checked and it is plugged in. As I mention, my sister laptop is working ok along with the other two desktop at home except my. Should I reboot the DSL server?

4. sadpuppy

sadpuppy Thread Starter

By the way, I went online and chat with a technician to get help. It took him a long time to get back to me and give me a download software that I already have and already did installed it in. After I told him I already have that software and I also did what he was mention, he ended the chat section without answering my question.:confused: I dont think they are that helpful.

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

To download HJTsetup.exe from TrendSecure To Download HijackThis go to the following at the File Repository
    Click on the link below to Download HijackThis Self Installer:

http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/threat_analytics/HJTInstall.exe

Save the file to your desktop.
    Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
    By default it will install to C:\Program Files\HijackThis.
    Continue to click Next in the setup dialog boxes until you get to the Select Additional Tasks dialog.
    Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
    Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
    At the final dialog box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
    Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
    Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
    At the top of the Notepad HJT log screen, hit Edit then Select All then click Edit and then click Copy doing that copies the text to the clipboard, you won't see it yet....
    Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
    DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.
    A security expert with a gold shield to the right of their name should take a look at your log - please be patient.

6. sadpuppy

sadpuppy Thread Starter

I also noticed that I lost my Firewall software along with the wireless wizard. I am not sure whether I need this for my laptop or not. If I do, can any one post that software please?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/625902

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice