1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Local Area Connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by chrisseybrown, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chrisseybrown

chrisseybrown Thread Starter

Hi All,

I am a relative beginner and I am having a problem that is beyond my ability.

I am using windows XP on my PC, I have got AOL Gold Broadband, I have also had fitted a Linksys Wireless G Card. Which works ok with my daughters Laptop. However it kept showing a message on my PC that "Local Area Connection" is unplugged. After ensuring that my connections were ok, & trying various things my son-in-law fitted a wireless card to my PC. Now I am getting the following error message "Local Area Connection 2" is unplugged. I now cannot get onto AOL Broadband at all. When I try to logon to AOL I am getting the following message "Home DNS Server Unreachable or Unavailable (24-01-08-033).
    Can you help? Is it a Software Problem? Hardware Problem or a Virus?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Welcome, chrisseybrown.

Do you have an ethernet cable connected between the router and your PC when you get "Local Area Connection 2" is unplugged? If so, there is a problem with the cable, the router's port, or your ethernet card. If you are not connected by cable, then the message is just stating the obvious.

If you are trying to connect via ethernet, then the above is your problem--likely hardware.

If you are connecting via wireless, do you know whether you actually get communication with the router?

I won't be able to help you with anything specific to AOL, but we don't yet know whether this is an AOL or just beginning jitters connecting to a router.

3. chrisseybrown

Hi TerrNet,

I have some more information of my problem.

Ok current hardware network configuration is:
    One onboard ethernet card (Windows see as Network connection 1)
    One separate PCI Network card (Windows see as Network connection 2)
    Know working Ethernet Cable
    Linksys WAG54G Wireless ADSL Router

Originally I kept on getting message saying Local Area Connection is
    unplugged, I would not loose internet connectivity but would constantly get
    this message every 10 seconds. Then after a period of about a month I was
    not able to gain a connection at all. Son-in-law then installed a 2nd PCI
    Network card, this gave me connectivity right away and was able to surf
    again, but after a few days got the same message saying that network cable
    was unplugged (every 10 seconds again). Now I am back to the same point
    where I cannot access internet at all.
    I also am unable to configure router via ethernet as this also times out.

Son in law has a laptop so had daughter and they are able to connect their
    machine to my router via wired ethernet cable and able to get on right away
    and do not get the "unplugged" message at all. Have using the same cable
    which goes between router and my PC this works with their laptop fine, also
    same port on router.

Very close to reinstalling Windows etc as all currently is point to my
    machine not to cable or router.

Any ideas?

Your assistance is appreciated.

Thanks ..... Chris

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "Any ideas?"

Yeah, I think you're doing quite well trouble shooting. :)

Agree that you have eliminated cable and router as problems. Beyond that I'm just guessing and theorizing.

In my mind the gradual worsening of the integrated adapter followed by the gradual worsening of the new PCI card would indicate a power supply or motherboard problem. Do you have an unused slot the PCI card could be moved into?

But I can also see it as a malware or registry corruption problem; I would format the disk and do a new Windows install, but that's very inconvenient for some people.

5. The BOBS Fan

The BOBS Fan

TerryNet--

I had a problem similar to this once. I disabled the ethernet connection to the router via Network properties, and no more popups. Might this attempt work?

TBF

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "I disabled the ethernet connection to the router via Network properties"

Yes, it will certainly get rid of the nagging popup. But I think Chris is trying to get this connection to work--it won't work disabled. :)
    Terry

7. The BOBS Fan

The BOBS Fan

Hmm... Chrissy says:
    Does this mean you have no working ethernet router, or that you know the ethernet cable works?

TerryNet says:
    I assumed 'know' was a typo, no ethernet cable was connected, and that Chrissy was trying to connect via the wireless card. Therefore, disabling the ethernet connection was my solution!:D

I'll back out gracefully now:)

TBF

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "I'll back out gracefully now"

You better not! Your interpretation is just as valid as mine! Maybe more so. :)

So, Chrissy, help us out here. Is wireless part of the mix here?

9. chrisseybrown

The response here comes to the same conclusion as my son-in-law.
    He asked me to assure the guys trying to help that the wireless connectivity is fine with my
    daughters and son-in-laws laptop, which both work ok.
    My son-in-law is going to keep searching under virus's and malware to see if we get a
    result here, any help in this direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards

Chris

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think what you just said, Chris, is that all my responses have been far out in left field. As TBF tried to tell me you are trying to get wireless working, the "unplugged" messages have nothing to do with the problem, and if you are tired of those nags you can just disable the ethernet connection.

If I am now on the right (wireless) track, please describe what you have tried and the results, including:
    wireless adapter brand and model.

Have you checked for latest driver?

Are you trying with encryption disabled until you get it working?

Are you using Windows XP's WZC or the adapter's utility to manage, and are you sure that the other one is not running?

Do you detect your network? What happens when you try to connect?

11. Singleton

Singleton

The OPs problem is being misinterpreted. I am experiencing the same thing and what she and I have is:

- a network cable on local area network for NON-wireless internet connection
    - a recently installed wireless adapter in order to also get wireless internet connection

Problem:
    - once the wireless adapter was installed, the non-wireless internet connection started to show that the the network cable on local area network is unplugged even though it is still physically connected
    - please note: that the ethernet cable is not faulty, and if the wireless adapter is disabled the non-wireless internet connection will continue to show that the the network cable on local area network is unplugged

Wanted solution:
    - to be able to access the internet using both the wireless and non-wireless methods at the same time

12. Singleton

Singleton

I managed to fix my problem in WinXP by going into Control Panel>System>Hardware tab>Device Manager>expanding Network adapters list>right clicking on the network card for the non-wireless internet connection and selecting its properties>Advanced tab>clicking on MediaType>change the Value from Auto_Config to another option, which was 10BaseT Full_Duplex in my case
    ...and the red X on the Local Area Connection disappeared!
    ...so now I have both the wireless and non-wireless connections to access the Internet at the same time

13. The BOBS Fan

The BOBS Fan

Just curious -- why?

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536103

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice