1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Local Disk (C:) is invisible when saving/extracting

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Unorthadox, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Unorthadox

Unorthadox Thread Starter

When I go to save a file from the internet, or extract a file, the option to choose Local Disk (C:) isn't there. There's no variation of it, like C: drive or anything, it's just invisible. The only options I have are desktop, my recent documents, networking.

I can go into the drive manually, can open my computer and access it like nothing is wrong, but I cannot save a file to it nore can I extract a file to it, as the option is not there, it is invisible. Also, "my computer" is not showing up in the start menu or on my desktop. I have to access that via holding the windows key and E at the same time. No idea if that's part of the problem, but yeah.

I can't really find a spot for this, casue I can't tell if it's a hardware problem or a software problem or whatever, so I'm putting it in the XP section (please move if it's in the wrong place).

Any help would be appreciated.

specs:

Windows XP Pro SP3.
    3GB RAM
    Nvidia 9800 GT
    Intel core i3 530 @ 2.9ghz (4 CPUs)

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

re not showing on start menu, although I am convinced thisis NOT the onlyproblem check this pls.
    Right click the taskbar, choose properties. On the Start Menu tab, click
    customize. On the advanced tab, go to the start menu items section and
    recheck it.

Have you used a registry cleaning program - PLS do NOT take this as I want you to. Keep away from them.

3. Unorthadox

Unorthadox Thread Starter

"My Computer" is already checked as "show as link" in the start menu properties. It's still not showing up. It's as if it doesn't exist outside of using the shortcut keys (windows key + E).

4. Macboatmaster

Run "chkdsk c: /f" from cmd prompt.
    OR fix file system errors on GUI on My Computer.
    When that has completed obtain results from winlogon. in event viewer application.
    Depending on results
    run system file checker from run box as "sfc /scannow"

5. valis

valis Moderator

follow what macboatmaster recommends, but just out of curiousity, I'm assuming (it HAS to show up) in disk management. Correct?

6. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Change the setting to Display as a menu. Sometimes the option it shows as selected isn't the one that it's using. Changing the setting will sometimes correct that.

7. Macboatmaster

Valis
    The Outcaste

I am signing off - goodnight gents.
    Just beginning to wonder - my post 2 registry cleaner - Current User Software DWORD - value - reset.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!