1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

LOCAL LAN not works without making new user

Discussion in 'Networking' started by 3dsmaxed, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 3dsmaxed

3dsmaxed Thread Starter

Hi everyone

my first post here.
    I am facing a little problem with my networking at office.
    I have windows xp 64 bit installed on my PC. i use both local networking and internet on this system(via LAN). i a using TCp/Ip settings and gateway settings to use local lan as well as internet via LAN on mY pC. Everything works just fine.

No when i take my PC home and i want use internet on this i have to obviously change the TCP /Ip settings and gateway as the home internet is from a different service provider. Ok it works fine at home and i am able to use the internet. now next day the problem comes. i go to the office and change my LAN settings again to the older ones. Now i am again able to use the internet But My local LAN is not working. its not accessible buit internet is working . Now i tried something. I made a new user as computer administrator and voila the LAN starts working as well as the internet.

So i face this problem everytime i change my Ip settimgs . when i come back to office and change the IP settings i have to make a new user as computer administrator to be able to use LOCAL LAN again. Otherwise just the internet works and not the Local LAN.

i am anot able to figure out what can be the problem

Please help

Thanks

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Do you know about the Alternate Configuration capability of XP's TCP/IP networking?

Attached Files:

• alt.jpg
      alt.jpg
      File size:
      51.6 KB
      Views:
  3. 3dsmaxed

3dsmaxed Thread Starter

hi

i didnt know about that feature but that is not the solution for my problem because i have to make a new user for now after that i can configure new alternate IP
    Also for first IP if i use obtain Ip settings automaticallly Lan doesnt work

So firstly i need the answer to solve my problem that why is it happening and whats the solution to accessing both LAN and internet. After that i can think of alternate configuration thing. Actually i had been using easy net switch before this so i had no problems at that time because it configures settings automatically. I think alternate configuration is similar to that
    but first i want to know where does the problem appear from? why is internet working and not LAn? why making computer administrator new user solves the problem?

Thanks

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Are you running with administrative rights? Truthfully, unless you're running without administrative rights, I can't imagine what is going on.

5. 3dsmaxed

3dsmaxed Thread Starter

i havent made any user before this i mean when i start windows i dont have to click on any user name .
    so i think i have administrator rights.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What do you mean by the local Local Area Network doesn't work? Are you using two connections--one for internet access and one for a local network? Or just one connection and it works but you cannot access other computers, nor they you, on the local network?

7. 3dsmaxed

3dsmaxed Thread Starter

what i mean is that my Pc is on a local network in office and i am using shred internet connection from a server computer
    So when i change the ip settings at home and then try to put them back when i connect again to office my internet works but office lan doesnt work
    neither can i access any PC nor can any PC access my system

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Thank you for the clarification. My first guess would be a 3rd party firewall (internet security). Somehow during the two network changes you change the configuration, or it changes itself, so that your office network is no longer trusted.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703551

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice