1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Local laptop Screen freezes but not external monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mcobby, Nov 16, 2019.

1. mcobby

mcobby Thread Starter

I really am hoping someone can help me. I have an unusual but incredibly frustrating issue with my Dell XPS 13 9370. The local screen on the laptop will freeze. However If I am plugged into an external monitor there is never any freezing on that screen. Sometimes when I am using the external monitor the local one freezes at one point in time, as I continue to see the external update perfectly. I never ever have an issue when plugged into an external monitor. So my first thought was the maybe the driver for the PC screen was out of date.

Sometimes touching the fingerprint reader will unfreeze the screen for a bit, and other times when it freezes completely I have to press the on/off button and that does the trick for a while. But then a few minutes later it all starts again.

So I

· Reinstalled the entire library of drivers, using Dell’s Command update App. Ran all updates etc.

· Did a diagnostic test of video card and it passed.

· Scanned for viruses and MalaWare

· Performed a fresh install of Windows 10.

· Made sure Office Updates are all current

This has made my laptop virtually impossible to use unless I am plugged into an external monitor. It seems the driver for the local monitor is an Intel R UHD Graphics 670 and for the external monitor a different one is a Fresco Logic USB to VGA driver.

Most of the programs and apps I have installed I have been using for years and all paid for from reputable developers. I mean I don’t keep a bunch of junk on my machine. I regularly scan for viruses and run CCleaner and keep things tidy.

The people at Dell are mystified and claim it must be a program I am running that is causing a conflict. But my question to them is always if there were a conflict then why does that same issue not appear on the external monitor signal? Could it be that something is conflicting with only the local screen driver?

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

To test out the Dell suggestion, you can remove one application at a time and use the laptop for a while to see if the freezing happens. If it still happens, uninstall another app.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235779

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice