1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Local "My Documents" on Server

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by trev.h, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. trev.h

trev.h Thread Starter

I have a server with a backup process.
    I have a number of windows 2000 and xp home machines.
    I want the users My Documents folders to be mirrored on the server.
    Offline Folders will not work for this as you have to make the remote folder available locally and can't "alias" that to My Documents. Shame, because with Unix/Linux I could create a symbolic link to the server and then everyones My Documents would be backed up daily.

Anyone got any suggestions? A batch DOS copy to a mapped network folder at shutdown sounds too 1980s to even think about! ... Why did I just thing of it?!

Trev.

2. downtime

downtime

Create a shared folder on the server, and create however many folders you need for user's documents, right click my documents on each user's machine, choose properties, move, and choose one of the folders you created as the location for that user's My Documents. Roaming profiles work, but cause some overhead on the server.

3. trev.h

trev.h Thread Starter

Excellent, just what I wanted.

One last question, any idea how to achieve this very thing with mobile users using XP Home and allow them access to the folders when offline, XP Home does not allow offline folders so some other other solution is needed.

Trev.

4. downtime

downtime

Are you wanting to do this without removeable media? Can you explain a little more?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164038

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice