1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Local Network Connection Security

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by ChargerFan, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChargerFan

ChargerFan Thread Starter

I don't know computers at all and I need help... reassurance to be more specific.

My computer accesses the internet via a local network connection shared by my roomate. The router, hardware firweall, and DSL line originate in his room and so my question is this: Is there any way that my roomate might be remotely examining (from his computer)the websites I visit or the work that I do on my computer? He knows computers very well where as I do not. Thanks for any help you could provide, it is appreciated.

Go Chargers!

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, Yes it is possible that this could be going on.

Especially if he is the one who has physical access to your computer, that is, can he go and do work on yours?

Even if you have a Windows password, it is no real trick to bypass it, even in XP.

Here are some things to look over, please ask about anything you want to put in place because you are already possibly being monitored...and, if you make certain changes, your Internet access could be "cancelled" by what you do so I advise to make sure you don't change anything yet.

Scary, yes it is. Here are some pages to read up on using Internet Connection Sharing at home, with XP. Don't rush to try anything but I do want you to compare how things are set up to what they advise is safe. And, ask about things before you do anything!

http://www.google.com/search?source...hen+using+Internet+Connection+Sharing+at+home

http://ms.helifan.net/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/crawford_02july01.mspx <<the best info is here

http://netforbeginners.about.com/od/lockdownyourpc/Lock_Down_Your_Home_PC_Security_Essentials.htm

Now, stop and think- are you using a firewall, sharing one, or using the XP one?

If you don't know, you need to find out and the articles above will help you.

If he set up the equipment, the router configuration would most likely have been done from his pc,
    and then if he did want to "see" what you had been doing, he would have had to do some steps ON your computer. If he set up more than just File and Printer sharing, Internet sharing, there are ways to tell.

Look at the icon of your Drive C: in My Computer....is it a hard drive icon with a hand holding it?

That would be an entire hard drive set up as a Share, and anyone on the network could go in from their pc and look through all files. There could just be some folders shared....

If you start the computer, and quickly start tapping F8 key, you should get a menu in black and white...like going to Safe Mode.....move the highlighted line down to Safe Mode, and press Enter once, then press Enter for your operating system, XP Home, or Pro.....and select the Administrator account to boot to by pressing Enter or OK

If you get a password box.....did you make a password for it? If you did not, someone has, because
    by default, that account is NOT passworded.

3. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, Due to a lack of response this thread is Closed.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537240

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice