1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Local Security Policy - Windows 2000

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Trinexx, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trinexx

Trinexx Thread Starter

I just tried to install Windows Installer 3 on a Win2K system, but due to various security restrictions placed by this computer's previous owner, I got an access denied error.

Being the idiot that I am, I decided to mess with the local security policy of the system, checking every box along the way. After rebooting, however, a new problem arose...

"The local policy of this system does not allow you to login interactively"

As I'm sure you can tell, this is quite frustrating. Even more frustrating is the fact that everywhere I've looked tells me to reset the policy from a different computer in the domain. This is a stand-alone system. It doesn't go online. It's not in a network.

So, my question is: How can I reset the security policy when I can't log in? I've got two weeks worth of work on it that has to be turned in by 8AM, which gives me five hours to solve this issue. Thus my problem is compounded.

(PS: The computer I'm using now is a different one, obviously.)

2. Trinexx

Trinexx Thread Starter

Hohum, at about 7AM, it became apparent that a solution would not present itself in time. So, being faced with this dillema, I did what any responsible worker would do: Called in sick.

Anyways, I've got an extension on when this needs to be fixed, and I've hobbled my way through most of it. What I'm looking for now is the exact command to reset the local security policy. I'm running off of a Win98 boot disk, so the directory of the exe used would be helpful.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!