1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Local Service Folder?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Katla, Feb 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katla

Katla Thread Starter

I've been running on a pretty full hard drive for awhile now (I know, I know), just managing to keep 5-6% of 30 GB free. Last night I inexplicably lost about a gig of space. Seeing as how I'm skating on thin ice as it is, I really can't afford to lose that. I have no idea what the cause was, although I had just downloaded about 200 MB of files from a friend's iDisk (I also deleted 200 MB from my drive prior to that download). The only thing that I could find that looked strange was in my Documents and Settings folder. Obviously my "Local Service" folder is something fairly integral to Windows, but it is listed as being over a GB in size but I can not view anything in it besides two files that are both a few kilobytes. Running a virus scan on it I was able to tell that it has quite a few .mp3s in it, nevermind that I don't keep my music there. Is it just some sort of temporary storage? How do I purge it?

I appreciate any help/advice. Bad enough to run my machine on just under 2 GB, but to do it with less than 800 MB is suicide (more so).

2. Mordillo_98

Mordillo_98

Unless you can free yourself with the Disk Cleanup utility (Start - Programs - Accessories - System Tools - disk Cleanup), you're stuck spending money for a new hardware.

Come on... You can do it ! It's less than 100$.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Move the Recycle Bin slider from its default of 10% to 3%.

Move the System Restore slider from its default of 12% to 3%(or wherever you need to move it to retain 1000 -1200 MB of space for restore points).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Delete everything from inside the folders that I've highlighted in bold text:

C:\TEMP (Not all computers have this folder)

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP

C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\(USERNAME)\LOCAL SETTINGS\TEMP

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Empty the Recycle Bin afterwards, then reboot.

How much free space did your computer regain?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/439559

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice