1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Locate email folders and files

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by yarnos, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yarnos

yarnos Thread Starter

I have just performed datarecovery on my Primary HARDDRIVE and have located all my lost data using Runtime GetDataBack can i have information on how to locate the folders and files to find all my emails on outlook ?:(:(

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi yarnos

If you were using Microsoft Outlook (version?), messages, contacts, etc. are kept in a .pst file.
    Copy the .pst file(s) and open them in Outlook:
    File > Open > Outlook Data File

If you were using Outlook Express, the messages are contained in several .dbx files.
    Each folder in Outlook Express has a corresponding .dbx file. Save the entire directory folder and Import the messages back into Outlook Express.
    The Address Book has a .wab extension.

Let us know if that works for you or not.

3. yarnos

yarnos Thread Starter

My harddrive is damaged is not operational i can only rescue the file using Getdataback which only allows me to copy and remove files and folders. I can't run any applications i need to be advised where the files and folders are stored the PST file

4. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

You will need to run a Search for those extensions.
    You didn't mention which "Outlook" you were using.

5. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Default location for Outlook (2000/2003 at least):
    C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
    Default location for Outlook Express:
    C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{GUID}

{GUID} is different for each PC/Identity, and is a string of 2 digit hexadecimal numbers grouped in a 4-2-2-2-6 format.

HTH

Jerry

6. Lucky5tar

Lucky5tar

Note that the default for PST is 265kb, so if you see a file that size then it's empty.

You could also look for the Nickname file with the NKV attachment.

Also check:

C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

7. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

(y)Thanks Lucky5tar, forgot there are a few files in there. My system has the Nicknames there, with a NV2 extension though.

Jerry

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756222

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice