Locate email folders and files

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

yarnos

I have just performed datarecovery on my Primary HARDDRIVE and have located all my lost data using Runtime GetDataBack can i have information on how to locate the folders and files to find all my emails on outlook ?:(:(

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Hi yarnos

If you were using Microsoft Outlook (version?), messages, contacts, etc. are kept in a .pst file.
Copy the .pst file(s) and open them in Outlook:
File > Open > Outlook Data File

If you were using Outlook Express, the messages are contained in several .dbx files.
Each folder in Outlook Express has a corresponding .dbx file. Save the entire directory folder and Import the messages back into Outlook Express.
The Address Book has a .wab extension.

Let us know if that works for you or not.

yarnos

My harddrive is damaged is not operational i can only rescue the file using Getdataback which only allows me to copy and remove files and folders. I can't run any applications i need to be advised where the files and folders are stored the PST file

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
You will need to run a Search for those extensions.
You didn't mention which "Outlook" you were using.

Default location for Outlook (2000/2003 at least):
C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
Default location for Outlook Express:
C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{GUID}

{GUID} is different for each PC/Identity, and is a string of 2 digit hexadecimal numbers grouped in a 4-2-2-2-6 format.

HTH

Jerry

Note that the default for PST is 265kb, so if you see a file that size then it's empty.

You could also look for the Nickname file with the NKV attachment.

Also check:

C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online