Locating Laptop with MAC Address

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

INeedGmail!!

Hey TSG's,

I recently had my laptop stolen and am wondering how I can locate the general area of where it curently is because I already have suspicions on who took it. I purchased the brand new laptop from HP and have tried going through them to get my MAC address but they have sent me in loops. I have not gotten my MAC address. I'm wondering if anyone knows how to do the whole process, and what will i need as far as software (or even hardware?). Locating my laptop means locating a lot more things that were stolen from me.

Thanks in advance,

George

The MAC address often is on the paperwork, box, invoice that comes with the computer.

I'm not 100% sure what you are asking about, but if you are asking if there is some way to locate your computer by polling the Internet for the MAC address, I don't think this is possible.
While the MAC address is unique for each network device, it is local to the segment on which it resides. The MAC is stripped and replaced with a new MAC every time it goes through a router, so there is no way to know if a packet came from a specific device.
IPv6 would theoretically do it but with the new RFC 3041 replacing the MAC address in the v6 addressing scheme with randomized numbers...I doubt it. Sorry.

DoubleHelix

Banned
I don't have a complete technical explanation for you, but if it were that easy to recover a stolen laptop, companies like LoJack wouldn't make any money.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I know it's not really "solved", but...

You can mark your own threads solved using the
button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.
©
:)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online