locating W2K "Repair" using boot floppies...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

webzter

Good Morning;
My W2K program is not a boot disk version, so you need to make a series of four (4) boot flopies. I need to get to the "REPAIR" option presumably located on one of the four floppies I made- question is, where is it located and how do I get to it?
Thanks in advance

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hi, Sounds like you do not have the original Windows 2000 CD?

You need to have the install CD for win2k in your CD drive when you boot up and you should get the screen to choose to Repair, or reinstall. Be sure you know what you are doing, though, as you can hit the wrong key and wipe out the partition> here is a guide for win2k Pro, which shows you what you will see on screen during the process and step by steps to repair the present copy. It may work or not, depending on the problem.

Without a CD you cannot repair win2k unless the Recovery console has been installed previously.

http://www.windows2000.windowsreinstall.com/

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/windows2000/Repair/multipageindex.htm

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/windows2000/emergencyfastrepair/index.htm

You'll get the idea from these links I am pretty sure.

webzter

hi Byteman, appreciate the reply, thanks. I have used W2K Pro that came as a bootable disk before and have used the Repair successfully, so I am familiar with the screens you refer to. (FYI, this W2K pro version is supposed to originate from MS's "Multiple Licensing Division). You suggested that I install the CD along with the first (1st) floppy? When does the repair option become available or visible? I have run all four diskettes and never did see the repair screen- just the "Windows 2000 Set-UP" at the top of each of the four screens, and nothing else-does this make sense?
thanks

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, all 2K CD's are bootable, so we obviously find it odd that yours isn't... You need to boot from the CD to access the repair console.

webzter

instructions that came with the disk state that it was not bootable and floppies (4) had to be made- one of the screen shots suggested by Byteman above also has text indicating the same thing and where they (floppies) can be accessed-

crjdriver

Just install the recovery console as a startup option. To do this insert your win2k cd in the cd drive. Cancel the window that asks upgrade or install. Now open a command prompt and change to your CD drive ie F: if your drive is F. Type this in "\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons" without quotes. Follow the on screen prompts. You will now have the RC as a startup option.

webzter

stumped & crj...thanks ...I first referenced the MS article when I made my initial set of floppies, and as for the console as a start-up program, I saw that earlier today under W2k "Help"- but how does itstall- on the desktop? Also, isn't there any way to get the "REPAIR" option to work as intended- witht the use of the 4 floppies- I'll be damn if I can find it anywhere- THANKS AGAIN-

crjdriver

webzter said:
stumped & crj...thanks ...I first referenced the MS article when I made my initial set of floppies, and as for the console as a start-up program, I saw that earlier today under W2k "Help"- but how does itstall- on the desktop? Also, isn't there any way to get the "REPAIR" option to work as intended- witht the use of the 4 floppies- I'll be damn if I can find it anywhere- THANKS AGAIN-
The RC installs as a startup option. When you boot your system, you will now have a menu giving you the choice between win2k and the RC.

I have not installed win2k from the four setup disks in years, however I believe you get the same option to repair or setup. Repair is the RC.

webzter

thanks crj....that's what I thought as well- just can't seem to locate it anywhere- I'll try the start-up option- think you can uninstall once you're done - many thanks for the assist!

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hi,
To load the Repair option, it's press Enter when you boot from the floppy set 4th disk or CD, not R.

If you do a repair, you will need to get all Service packs again, plus you may lose some things.

My experience with the RC and win2k has been that it runs 3 ways:

1. From the 4 floppy disk set, at the end of the last floppy you should get a prompt to press R and RC will load and you can run chkdsk, etc.

1. Directly from the CD at bootup. Again, you see a prompt to press R.

3. As a startup option, after installing the RC from within Windows, (with your CD in the tray and running the command, that places the Console as a startup option.) I'm still not sure you can install the RC from a boot with the floppy disks if the CD in the tray is not a bootable one. Maybe you can, but you still have to see the prompts to press R. The CD you have does not have Setup (winnt32) or it does not have the required files to start the computer.

You might be able to copy files to removable media using the RC but you need to make some changes while in Windows to do that.

If you want to do a full Repair to win2k:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online