1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

location of downloaded attachments in OUTLOOK EXPRESS

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by jimkoppel, Jan 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jimkoppel

jimkoppel Thread Starter

using outlook express 5
    when attachments are downloaded, into which directory are they placed?

when i click on an attachment, it appears on the screen.

can i find them in any particular directory using windows explorer???

2. ezymony

ezymony

i dont quite understand what you mean when you get mail with an attachment you need to save it to a folder and scan for any virus before you open it .you choose which folder to save it in when you click on the mail

3. jbcalg

jbcalg

when you click and they open - they are not saved (well, they are temporarily in windows temp, but that gets full and then they disappear)

do you use the preview pane?
    menu bar
    view
    layout
    preview

then in the preview pane you'll see a paperclip

if you just see the emails down the right side, with the paperclips to indicate the attachment

preview:
    click on the paper clip
    list of attachments drops down
    click to open or 'save attachments' to save, a windows explorer type window will open so you can decide where to put them

no preview:
    double click the paper clip to open - and not save when they close
    right click to get a save as/save to menu
    move to/copy to a folder

tell it where to go LOL

4. jimkoppel

jimkoppel Thread Starter

in endora pro, e mail attachments are downloaded automatically to a directory

in outlook express, when an e mail messasge arrives, if i click on the attachment, i can read it easily.

one year later, when i click on the message, the attachment icon appears, and i can still click on the attachment and view it.

where is it stored? it has been downloaded from my internet provider and is obviously in my computer... i haven't taken any special steps to save it, or specify the location... it just appears to be attached to the e mail message itself ???

5. khaje

khaje

Easiest way to find that is to send yourself and email with an attachment. Open and save it. Then run find on your computer and search for the file.

Khaje

6. buck52

buck52 Banned

jimkoppel

open OE then go to tools > options. Maintenance..If you click on the store folder button it will show you where they are but...I tried opening them and get nothing but gibberish

buck

7. buck52

buck52 Banned

8. jbcalg

jbcalg

OK, a little bit different than the first question

email is stored in a windows folder, including any attachments, usually in C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Identities\{bunch of letters & numbers}\Microsoft\Outlook Express
    - .dbx extension
    - stored in a file representing the OE folder (ie inbox, sent etc) but not as individual emails

sorry, i assumed 'downloaded attachment' meant downloaded from an email message to be saved on the hdd and used as a file
    - not left in the original message and opened that way

so there's download email with an attachment from your ISP and leave it in the email message
    and
    download (transfer i suppose) the attachment from your email to another hdd location

just different approaches - i donwload email messages and then 'transfer' any attachment(s) to specific folders after scanning them with AV software and use them that way

and buck's link will provide more info and how-to details

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64221

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice