1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

location of reg files (+some others) in windows

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by indigowindow, Nov 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. indigowindow

indigowindow Thread Starter

it's taken me a while to learn that the registry files are actually called user.dat and system dat. if this is correct, they seem to located in WINDOWS. i have a second user.dat in c:\VIAhm. what's the name of the registry backup file? what is the name of the v-cache file? something with the number 386? what about virtual memory? is that a file too? what's it called? [​IMG]

2. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

win.386 is your swap(virtual memory) file it is in the windows directory if windows handles it and in the root directory if you have a custom one.

to backup up your system.dat and user.dat, just copy them to somewhere safe.

here is some info on system.dat backup file, but I don't think it applies to win98

http://www.activewin.com/tips/reg/intro_4.shtml

vcache explanation is here (it's kind of like a hard drive cache loaded in your memory)

http://www.putergeek.com/vcache/index.shtml

3. indigowindow

ok, thanks shadow2531. now i'll have some reading over the holidays.........:p

4. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    If your running W98 or Windows ME, the registry is backed up on a running 5 day schedule at startup each day. The registry backups are stored in .cab files in the Sysbackup folder at c:\windows\sysbckup. The Sysbckup folder is a hidden folder so you need to be sure to have your "Folder View" properties set to "Show All Files" to be able to see it. The registry backups will be named rb00x.cab with "x" being a number from 0 to 5. Each .cab contains a copy of system.dat, user.dat, system.ini and win.ini. You can "see" inside of the rb00x.cabs by opening them with Winzip if your interested.

Should you ever have a need to create an immediate registry backup simply do this,

Start>Run, key in scanregw and press enter.

Should you ever have a need to restore back to a registry backup, simply boot to a DOS prompt and key in the following

scanreg /restore

Hope that helps, good luck ....

5. indigowindow

ok, thanks bryan. that clears things up even more. :p
    [​IMG]

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59341

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice