1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

lock hanging indent word 2003

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by officially, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. officially

officially Thread Starter

I am using microsoft word 2003. I want to lock a hanging indent so that it can not be moved for the entire document. My problem is when hitting the backspace button on the left margin twice the hanging indent resets to no indentation. If there is a way to do this with document protection I have not been able to figure it out. I need the hanging indent to not be able to move. If I could grey out the indentations that would be ideal. I have set up templates to open the document with a hanging indent, but the hanging indent is not restricted from moving. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. amadeus-salvador

amadeus-salvador

You may going about this all wrong. Sounds like you have some kind of fixed format in mind when keying in your text. In that case, you may be better creating a form in Word. This will give the ability to set fields in designated locations on the page. Then you lock the form, preserving the location of the field. Add the Form Toolbar and play around with it and see if you get the results you are looking for.

3. officially

officially Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. I should have included in the first question that I am not looking for a form to fill in fields. However I am looking for a format for the whole ducument. I just want the hanging indentation MARKER to be locked (imoveable) so that the user can not move them (by mouse or keystroke, specifically "backspace"), but can freely type otherwise as normal. It is a little hard to explain, and I have looked everywhere for an answer. The style I have is "Normal + Left: 0", Hanging: 1". Maybe if there is a way to keep this style unchangeable through a whole document. I hope this has explained my problem a little more thorough. Thanks for any help.

4. amadeus-salvador

amadeus-salvador

The problem you have is that the backspace key is intended to override the set indentation after two strikes. That is just way it is.

Now I am using Office 2007, but I think this feature was in Office 2003: Auto Fomat, or specifically Auto Format as you type. Office 2007 has a new feature called Quick Style as well.

But as with forms functions, I was thinking you create a form field at the designated indentation in the document. Create a field per paragraph, so that when you are done typing the one paragraph, you tab to the next field to start typing the new paragraph. That way you can back space all you want in a given field, but there is no way the backspace is moving that field and the designated indentation if it is locked. I am sure there is more than one way to skin this cat, but that is the way I would do it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917390

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice