1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lock/Unlock Icon In Middle Of Screen - HowTo Remove ?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by redger, Aug 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. redger

redger Thread Starter

hi, I have a strange problem .... a flashing lock/unlock icon (padlock which alternates form locked to unlocked) shows in the middle of my screen. The machine was built a few years back and hasn't changed significantly since then The symptom has just begun today - Sat Aug 6 my time) and only impacts Windows. The Linux install on this machine is unaffected I'm running Windows 7, with Office 7, both activated successfully (also running Open Office and Libre Office which were upgraded last week) I recently changed video card, about 3 weeks back suspect this is related to some sort of Microsoft security issue can't find any references on the web ... cant generate a screen shot (which suggests this is being inflicted by Windows itself) even with bitmap capture eg. snippy the icon is a very basic black and white padlock shape that stays right in the middle of the screen, is partly transparent and is visible no matter what programs are running - full screen games or windows applications I'm at my wits end with this ... no idea what's causing it or how to remove it any advice would be most welcome

2. redger

redger Thread Starter

oops. my own stupid fault .. after spending 3 hours on this it turns out it was a monitor error - why it only related to Windows I have no idea

3. maltasama

maltasama

4. redger

redger Thread Starter

yes ..thats the one fixed by pushing button on the monitor :(

5. albertsmum

albertsmum

I have this same problem, can you tell me what to do to get rid of this annoying thing in the middle of my screen!! What button on my monitor do I press?

6. Lance1

Lance1

Change your resolution to another setting, apply it and then change it back. This is as per maltasama link. I personally have never had this issue.

7. albertsmum

albertsmum

I forgot to say that I have already tried that. The lock/unlock picture comes back after about 1 minute.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1010965