1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lockdown user login on a domain machine to a specific user.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by StumpedTechy, Feb 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy Thread Starter

I know you can lock down an AD account to log into a specific machine but can you lock down a machine to only accept certain user logins? We have some mission critical machines that only have the specific rights with certain ID's but the users keep insiting on logging onto them as their own ID thus making the app not work properly and the machine go whacky. I want to set it up to deny logins other than using the specified ID's they have been given already (and not their own user accounts).

Is there any way to do this other than limiting EVERY user account (since I only need this limit on like 2 PC's per site I have).

Thanks for any help. (yes I know about runas types of solutions I really would like to keep these PC's as clean as we can and not have other user profiles on them at all).

TIA.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

So I would assume these computers are attached to the domain, so their domain logins allow them to login to the computer.

Couldn't you use a combination of the local policies
    Deny logon locally
    Logon Locally

Both of them allow you to add a user or group to those local policy. I would think that if you deny the everyone group in the domain then set the users who are allowed to login in the other policy, that might work. I am not sure though. I would have to test it.

3. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy Thread Starter

Hrmmm sounds fasible... Yes they are on the domain. I'll have to play with this a little bit and see if I can make it work.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/440398

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice