1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Locked drive

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by reemptor, Apr 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. reemptor

reemptor Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have an asus x550c running 8.1. I cannot get acces to anything except the ant virus task manager and f9 where I get one of the following:-

A required device isn’t connected or can’t be accessed

The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again.

I have tried to get into safe mode via the f9 key advanced options.

I have tried to repair the MBR and chkdsk /r. I looked at diskpart and there seems to be two of each partiion. as follows:-

Partition Type size offset
    Partion 1 system 100 mb 1024 kb
    Partion 2 Recovery 900 mb 101 mb
    Partion 3 Reserved 128 mb 1001 mb
    Partion 4 Primary 372 gb 1129 mb
    Partion 5 Recovery 450 mb 373 gb
    Partion 6 Primary 537 gb 373 gb
    Partion 7 Recovery 28 gb 911 gb

Obviously there is something wrong with that but I am now stumped. I need to get at a recovery partion. If anyone can point me in a direction I would appreciate it.

Many thanks

2. Sponsor

3. Tabvla

Tabvla

Do you have any independent Boot Media - such as - a USB Emergency Boot drive or a Windows CD/DVD Boot or a Linux CD/DV Boot..?

T.

4. reemptor

reemptor Thread Starter

No But I can make one

Thanks for the response

5. Tabvla

Tabvla

OK.... so what am I not understanding....?

If as you say ".... I can make one ..." then that implies that you can login to the computer. My understanding was that you could not access the computer because the Windows drive (or partition) was Locked.

I am sure that we can fix this but I just need to understand what the situation is.

T.

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    The OP may have a second computer that he can make a bootable USB Stick on.

7. Tabvla

Tabvla

Agree. It might be helpful if the OP clarified the setup. I find it easier to understand when there is no guesswork involved... especially at the end of the day.... :D

T.

8. renegade600

renegade600

you may have lost access to the recovery partition when all the additions partitions were created. are you able to get into safemode using the f8 key or shift f8 keys? did you create recovery disks when you first purchased the computer. I think you will be needing them to get things straighten out. You should also download a linux live iso and create a bootable disk so you can recovery any files you cannot afford to lose because it could get messy depending what originally happened to cause the original problem.

9. reemptor

reemptor Thread Starter

sorry for the confusion. I have a second computer that is running fine. I cannot get into safe mode via f9 advanced options Unfortunately I did not create recovery disks. Thanks for the tip about Linux live. I cannot get into system info to change the boot to legacy.

Thank you all for your responses

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146672

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice