Locked For Editing

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cmcnally

Hey love the new format! My Office XP isn't letting me access any of My Documents. The error message says:
"This Command is not available because the document is locked for edit."

I've checked and the files are not Read Only. I've also deleted the temporary files in the My Documents folder. Not sure what else to try. Any suggestions?

Anne Troy

Anne
Close all programs.
Start--Run and type:

%temp%

Hit enter.
Delete THOSE files.

Good Grief!
I did what you suggest just out of curiousity and sure a bunch there. I just got this computer and new software, it appears that some of the folders are from that install. Should I REALLY delete all those even tho they are "temps"?

Take up a lot of space, I know.

Anne Troy

Anne
Only Windows 2000 stores I think History and Temporary Internet Files in there, and I don't think it lets you delete them anyway.

See www.theofficeexperts.com/cleanyourpc.htm for complete instructions and info about it.

To answer your question, probably yes. Delete all that you are able.

cmcnally

Okay, sorry it took me a while to try that last suggestion. I ran %temp% and deleted all the files I could, but Microsoft Documents are still locked for editing. Any other suggestions?

i have the same problem as cmcnally and i tried to activate the product from help, but it didn't work. have any suggestions?

Didn't you activate the product when you first installed it?
What was the error message you got when you tried to activate Office?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online