1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Locked Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sparky915, May 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sparky915

sparky915 Thread Starter

I have 2 problems. I have 2 drives, one with Windows and such, and the other with about 1,000 games that my girlfriend plays. She let her grandson on, unsupervised, and the next thing is a trashed system drive.

Unfortunately, there was no way to save it, so I did a format and clean reinstall of XP Home. Goback was on the drive, and there was no way to uninstall it before the reinstall. The reinstall went fine, but the GAME drive is virtually inaccessible. It doesn't show in My Computer, but does show in Admin Tools, Disk Management. However, the drive name is shown as F(F:). It should either be D: or F: ( there are 2 optical drives). I can't change the name or drive letter. I get the error "the drive is locked".

I tried Partition Magic, and it will change the info, temporarily. Also, PM shows the drive as *.F It doesn't give any error message, and says the change has been applied, but it obviously hasn't.

I searched this forum for "hard drive locked" and followed suggestions that I had not tried previously.

The smiley replaced a colon; the entry should read F(F:).

Sometimes I think I might know what I'm doing, and then I realize, maybe not.

2. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy, so you only have 2 internal Hard drive ..one new OS is on and the other is with the games on....

and when you installed the new Operating System the other HDD was connected?

Does it say in Disc Management the drive has a file system on it?

Also does the bad drive have a name apart from F?

3. sparky915

sparky915 Thread Starter

Yes, there are only 2 internal Hard drives, plus the 2 optical drives. There are no external drives,or hardware except the monitor, mouse and kbd.

Yes, the GAME drive was connected the whole time. After I had tried several times to fix the problem, I powered down, disconnected power and data from the GAME drive, and restarted. Then repeated the process and reconnected. There was no change.

Disk Management shows: GAMES
    111.81 GB NTFS
    Healthy (Active)
    There is no Drive Letter shown.

Goback has not been reinstalled, and neither has firewall, antivirus, or malware tools. The computer is not connected to the router.

I have an image made with Macrium, but it wouldn't work.

Thanks for the help.

4. Megabite

Megabite

Have you got all Windows updates and SP3?

5. sparky915

sparky915 Thread Starter

Not yet. And I'm not sure if I'll install SP3. The last time, even though it was installed in Safe mode, getting it uninstalled and fixing the problems it caused was more fun than I want to have.

6. Megabite

Megabite

get aleast SP2

7. sparky915

sparky915 Thread Starter

Yes, I have SP2. I should have mentioned that at first. Sorry.

8. sparky915

sparky915 Thread Starter

I would really appreciate some help. I don't know how to solve this. I found some suggestions about Safe mode, admin, and disk properties, but I didn't find anything like what was suggested in the other posts , so I'm left with wiping the disk and starting again.

So far it seems that a MAJOR sticking point to getting help is my not wanting to install SP3.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/924925

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice