1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

locked in safe mode

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by traveller57, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. traveller57

traveller57 Thread Starter

hi all,could you help me to sort out my nephews laptop,he is txting me his problem.when he turns it on, it starts up in safe mode and says'windows did not shut down properly'no matter what he clicks on, it goes back into safe mode as if it is in a 'loop'he says, then he is presented with the same message again.so,hes stuck in safe mode. i told him to press the windows logo and the letter u twice which i saw in tips n tricks but no joy there. any ideas anyone?thanks for reading, lets hope we can get him back online and off my mobile! ;) bye,dave

2. funkdmonkey

funkdmonkey

This may sound incredibly stupid but did u make sure hes actually shutting down the computer properly, throught the start button? Pressing power all day wont help.

3. Dan O

Dan O

4. Paladin-X

Paladin-X

When in safe mode, goto start => run => msconfig

Make sure 'Use original BOOT.INI' is selected

If that doesn't work, click on the BOOT.INI tab

Make sure /SAFEBOOT is unchecked

5. traveller57

thanks all,ill txt him now before i go to work. ill letyou know what happened later. many thanks, dave :)

6. traveller57

thanks all,just had an e- mail from my nephew saying "my pc is fixed thanks for help!"i went mental! i sent him a reply asking where his manners were and how he got it fixed.he just said "windows crashed so i had to re-install it."hes also just told me he cant get any volume on his WMP 10,guess who wont be helping this time?thanks for your replies guys, problem solved

7. Dan O

Dan O

Thanks for the follow-up info.

8. traveller57

youre quite welcome DanO, ive just this second downloaded firefox so you will probably see me on the "HOW DO I DO THIS ON FIREFOX PAGE"!respects to all at TSG,now, back to the firefox thingymajigg! bye all,many thanks,dave

9. Dan O

Dan O

Dave,

It is a peice of cake to install. FireFox is the primary browser I use when Internet surfing, which is much more safe to use.

10. traveller57

ive just had a 'bit of a play'with FIREFOX,it does look great.all ive got to do now is work out how to import my favourites from MSN as FF only imported from IE and also find a 'preview themes' page for FF so i can download a couple of nice ones then i can switch home page themes using the tabbed browsing.it looks well good. thanks DanO,bye, dave (y) :D

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!